Jan 13, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
The invitations are going out from USA Basketball to players who will be considered to make up Team USA at the London Olympics this summer.
We showed you the initial reported list, Memphis’ Rudy Gay wasn’t on it.
But he told the Commercial Appeals he got an invite. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo called him and told him. Gay was a member of the USA squad that won gold for the USA in 2010 at the FIBA World Basketball Championships in Turkey.
So… the reported list may be off by a player or two. The USA has to put together the list now because all those players need to go into the international drug testing program before the games. The final list of players needs to be submitted to the Olympic Committee by June 18, which is likely before the NBA finals even end, so the selections will be made without a camp.
It’s going to be tough for Gay to make the final team, that is a deep and impressive field of forwards (LaMarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James, Kevin Love and Lamar Odom were on the leaked list, and not all of them make the cut). But getting the initiation is certainly an honor in and of itself.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12