Jan 13, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
The invitations are going out from USA Basketball to players who will be considered to make up Team USA at the London Olympics this summer.
We showed you the initial reported list, Memphis’ Rudy Gay wasn’t on it.
But he told the Commercial Appeals he got an invite. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo called him and told him. Gay was a member of the USA squad that won gold for the USA in 2010 at the FIBA World Basketball Championships in Turkey.
So… the reported list may be off by a player or two. The USA has to put together the list now because all those players need to go into the international drug testing program before the games. The final list of players needs to be submitted to the Olympic Committee by June 18, which is likely before the NBA finals even end, so the selections will be made without a camp.
It’s going to be tough for Gay to make the final team, that is a deep and impressive field of forwards (LaMarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James, Kevin Love and Lamar Odom were on the leaked list, and not all of them make the cut). But getting the initiation is certainly an honor in and of itself.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31