Jan 13, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
The invitations are going out from USA Basketball to players who will be considered to make up Team USA at the London Olympics this summer.
We showed you the initial reported list, Memphis’ Rudy Gay wasn’t on it.
But he told the Commercial Appeals he got an invite. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo called him and told him. Gay was a member of the USA squad that won gold for the USA in 2010 at the FIBA World Basketball Championships in Turkey.
So… the reported list may be off by a player or two. The USA has to put together the list now because all those players need to go into the international drug testing program before the games. The final list of players needs to be submitted to the Olympic Committee by June 18, which is likely before the NBA finals even end, so the selections will be made without a camp.
It’s going to be tough for Gay to make the final team, that is a deep and impressive field of forwards (LaMarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James, Kevin Love and Lamar Odom were on the leaked list, and not all of them make the cut). But getting the initiation is certainly an honor in and of itself.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 28
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)