Jan 13, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
The invitations are going out from USA Basketball to players who will be considered to make up Team USA at the London Olympics this summer.
We showed you the initial reported list, Memphis’ Rudy Gay wasn’t on it.
But he told the Commercial Appeals he got an invite. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo called him and told him. Gay was a member of the USA squad that won gold for the USA in 2010 at the FIBA World Basketball Championships in Turkey.
So… the reported list may be off by a player or two. The USA has to put together the list now because all those players need to go into the international drug testing program before the games. The final list of players needs to be submitted to the Olympic Committee by June 18, which is likely before the NBA finals even end, so the selections will be made without a camp.
It’s going to be tough for Gay to make the final team, that is a deep and impressive field of forwards (LaMarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James, Kevin Love and Lamar Odom were on the leaked list, and not all of them make the cut). But getting the initiation is certainly an honor in and of itself.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 9
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 22
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15