Jan 13, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
The invitations are going out from USA Basketball to players who will be considered to make up Team USA at the London Olympics this summer.
We showed you the initial reported list, Memphis’ Rudy Gay wasn’t on it.
But he told the Commercial Appeals he got an invite. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo called him and told him. Gay was a member of the USA squad that won gold for the USA in 2010 at the FIBA World Basketball Championships in Turkey.
So… the reported list may be off by a player or two. The USA has to put together the list now because all those players need to go into the international drug testing program before the games. The final list of players needs to be submitted to the Olympic Committee by June 18, which is likely before the NBA finals even end, so the selections will be made without a camp.
It’s going to be tough for Gay to make the final team, that is a deep and impressive field of forwards (LaMarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James, Kevin Love and Lamar Odom were on the leaked list, and not all of them make the cut). But getting the initiation is certainly an honor in and of itself.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4