Jan 13, 2012, 10:14 AM EST
I feel the need… the need for ‘Sheed. (Arguably the best NBA blog name ever.)
Rasheed Wallace — the veteran and versatile big man who won a ring in Detroit and was a four-time All-Star — is serious about a comeback, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
When last we saw ‘Sheed, he was the Celtics’ best player in a Game 7 loss to the Lakers in the 2010 NBA finals. He’s a big man who can play and defend in the paint but has shooting range out to the three point line. When he walked away from the game at age 35 he was still a serviceable big man, someone a lot of teams could use in their rotation.
Is he still after a couple years off? And how ready is a guy who didn’t exactly love the practice and conditioning parts of the game when he was in the league?
One NBA GM with potential interest in signing Wallace said, “I’d be worried about his conditioning in a condensed season.”
A league source told CSNNE.com Thursday night that Wallace will give the Celtics some consideration, but “he’s going to look at all his options” before making any decision.
From the C’s standpoint, adding Wallace would involve releasing a player with the Celtics roster now at 15 players with the recent addition of Mickael Pietrus. Rookie center Greg Stiemsma might wind up being the odd man out if Wallace returns (because he does not have a guaranteed contract).
If it’s not Boston, some team will take a chance on Sheed. And we’ll all be better for it.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 5
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 7
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 19
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13