Jan 13, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
What did Magic General Manager Otis Smith and Warriors GM Larry Riley talk about when they had lunch together Thursday in Oakland? Probably how much they hate random Internet speculation.
Nonetheless, that’s what we’ve got. The two did meet for lunch, reports Matt Stenmetz of CSNBayArea.com. And as we know from last week the Warriors have become aggressive suitors for Howard, even if they have to rent him. So one plus one equals…
Not so fast.
Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted this.
On topic of Dwight-to-Warriors, source says his agent, Dan Fegan, has made it clear to GS that Howard has no interest in playing there.
The price to acquire Howard — once the Magic get around to trading him after the All-Star Game (in Orlando) — is going to be steep. It would be Stephen Curry (if Orlando wants his ankle) and several other players. You don’t make that trade unless you are sure you can keep him long term. Howard has said he would only sign an extension with the Lakers, Mavericks or Nets, but other teams would like to think they could sway him if he’d just hang out there for a while. And San Francisco is a great city.
But they have a lot of work to do in the Bay Area to change the culture and revive the team. Sending away a bunch of assets for a guy who doesn’t want to be there and would leave at his first opportunity is not how you go about a rebuild.
But they had lunch, so go ahead and speculate.
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 0
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 4
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 11
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 84
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (85)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay