Jan 13, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
What did Magic General Manager Otis Smith and Warriors GM Larry Riley talk about when they had lunch together Thursday in Oakland? Probably how much they hate random Internet speculation.
Nonetheless, that’s what we’ve got. The two did meet for lunch, reports Matt Stenmetz of CSNBayArea.com. And as we know from last week the Warriors have become aggressive suitors for Howard, even if they have to rent him. So one plus one equals…
Not so fast.
Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted this.
On topic of Dwight-to-Warriors, source says his agent, Dan Fegan, has made it clear to GS that Howard has no interest in playing there.
The price to acquire Howard — once the Magic get around to trading him after the All-Star Game (in Orlando) — is going to be steep. It would be Stephen Curry (if Orlando wants his ankle) and several other players. You don’t make that trade unless you are sure you can keep him long term. Howard has said he would only sign an extension with the Lakers, Mavericks or Nets, but other teams would like to think they could sway him if he’d just hang out there for a while. And San Francisco is a great city.
But they have a lot of work to do in the Bay Area to change the culture and revive the team. Sending away a bunch of assets for a guy who doesn’t want to be there and would leave at his first opportunity is not how you go about a rebuild.
But they had lunch, so go ahead and speculate.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 1
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 21
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 19
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 28
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10