Jan 13, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
What did Magic General Manager Otis Smith and Warriors GM Larry Riley talk about when they had lunch together Thursday in Oakland? Probably how much they hate random Internet speculation.
Nonetheless, that’s what we’ve got. The two did meet for lunch, reports Matt Stenmetz of CSNBayArea.com. And as we know from last week the Warriors have become aggressive suitors for Howard, even if they have to rent him. So one plus one equals…
Not so fast.
Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted this.
On topic of Dwight-to-Warriors, source says his agent, Dan Fegan, has made it clear to GS that Howard has no interest in playing there.
The price to acquire Howard — once the Magic get around to trading him after the All-Star Game (in Orlando) — is going to be steep. It would be Stephen Curry (if Orlando wants his ankle) and several other players. You don’t make that trade unless you are sure you can keep him long term. Howard has said he would only sign an extension with the Lakers, Mavericks or Nets, but other teams would like to think they could sway him if he’d just hang out there for a while. And San Francisco is a great city.
But they have a lot of work to do in the Bay Area to change the culture and revive the team. Sending away a bunch of assets for a guy who doesn’t want to be there and would leave at his first opportunity is not how you go about a rebuild.
But they had lunch, so go ahead and speculate.
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 0
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22