Kyrie Irving scores a career-high 26 points to lead Cavs to victory over the Suns

Jan 13, 2012, 2:16 AM EDT

kyrie-irving-suns

This was supposed to be the soft part of the schedule for Phoenix. Kyrie Irving made sure that it wasn’t.

The number one overall pick in the NBA draft showed why he was taken there, scoring a career-best 26 points and keying a second-quarter run that erased the Suns’ six-point lead, and put the Cavaliers ahead for good on the way to a 101-90 victory at the US Airways Center in Phoenix on Thursday.

Irving started slowly, with just four points in seven first-quarter minutes. But he absolutely took this game over in the second quarter, scoring 12 straight points once he checked back in to turn a six-point deficit into a six-point lead that the Cavs would never relinquish.

“I was basically just feeding off my teammates,” Irving said, being much too humble considering his performance during that stretch. “They were going under the screen, I was just taking what the defense gave me and being aggressive. My teammates had the confidence in me to keep on feeding me the ball and telling me to keep going, so that’s what I did.”

As the Suns went under the screens time and again, Irving made them pay. Only the last basket of his personal run came in the paint; the rest were all jumpers, including two three-pointers. Irving talked about how teams are respecting his drive more, which has led to his being more open for the outside shot. But most importantly, he seemed to realize from the bench that he needed to be the one to provide the spark to turn the game in his team’s favor once he re-entered the game.

“I felt that it was just a time to be a lot more aggressive,” Irving said of his second-quarter offensive explosion. “First quarter is where you feel out what the defense is, second quarter I told myself when I went back in I was just going to be aggressive — for my teammates first, and then myself. It happened to be when I was making a few shots, we got the lead and we never looked back.”

Steve Nash had a typically strong game numbers-wise, finishing with 16 points and 15 assists. But there was only so much he could do as his team was killed on the glass, giving up 15 offensive rebounds that resulted in 20 second chance points. Irving talked about how it felt to go up against one of the league’s best at his position.

“It was definitely fun, playing against a great point guard such as Steve Nash,” he said. “I’ve been watching him for so long, now that I’m finally playing against him, it’s a little surreal. But once you’re out there, you’re in the game. I’m a competitor as well as he is. He’s still doing the things he’s done through his whole entire career — 16 points, 15 assists — it’s impressive. It was an honor playing against him.”

On this night, Irving was even more impressive. He finished 11-of-17 from the field, added six assists, and single-handedly made the plays necessary to turn the game around. From there, Anderson Varejao grabbed a season-high 17 rebounds, the Cavs played some excellent defense (especially against the Suns’ second unit) and forced Phoenix into plenty of bad possessions. Cleveland held the Suns to just 60 points over the game’s final three quarters.

One bright spot for Phoenix was the play of Michael Redd, who made his Suns debut to the tune of 12 points in just over 19 minutes. Redd drained his first two shots, both of which were wide open threes from the corner that he didn’t hesitate for a second to knock down. Redd said afterward he felt great, and that his wind was better than expected. He just needs to continue to acclimate himself to what the Suns are trying to do offensively, and he should be a strong contributor for the team as the season progresses.

Thursday, however, belonged to Kyrie Irving. Phoenix had won three straight at home fairly easily, and hoped to get above .500 with back-to-back home games against Cleveland and New Jersey before heading out on a brutal five-game road trip against some of the league’s elite teams.

Irving’s second quarter changed all that.

1. 00maltliquor - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Yeah, Miami’s future PG is looking nice!

• BrownsTown - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I get the joke, but I’ll humor the post and flame in-kind. Irving is under team control for another four years, which is probably past when the Heat’s window has closed. LeBron’s physical game won’t translate once he loses the physical advantages. He won’t evolve into the same type of savvy, outside player that MJ became once his leaping-out-of-the-building style went away.

Tick tock. Three more years, counting this year.

• slowclyde86 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Oh, come on everyone. I am a Cleveland guy and thought this was funny. Lighten up. (Ok—flame away).

2. erocknrolla - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:48 AM

As a suns fan at the game i was embarrassed. Blown layups and some of the worst boxing out I’ve seen in years. Nash had the second most minutes of playing time in a game that was basically over by the 3rd quarter. This team went 19-63 last year. Granted Irving played well but he led the game with 6 turnovers and the Suns couldn’t do anything with em. We let Anderson Varejao get 17 rebounds. Anderson Varejao. I don’t think Nash can finish the season at this pace. I respect the hell out of Steve Nash but in no way can he be the guy every night and going over 30 minutes in losing efforts.

4-6 and about to have one of the most brutal road trips I’ve ever seen.
    @ San Antonio @ Chicao @ New York @ Boston @ Dallas.
    Then we get the raptors at home and play the blazers grizz and mavs again. 6-12 is quite realistic at this point. I could be wrong but im probably not.
    If this team keeps playing like it is i expect to be fighting for a lottery pick come feb-march. Sucks because even last year when we missed the playoffs it was still fun to watch as we scored buckets of points. Just read a state that no suns player has scored over 26 so far this season.

• tampajoey - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Don’t be so hard on your Suns for giving up 17 rebounds to Anderson Varejao. He’s 4th in the NBA in rebounds.

• erocknrolla - Jan 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

um he hass a 7.0 career average in rebounds. Id rather look at that stat then the 10 games that this season has produces so far.

3. jonka - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:32 AM

This kid is playing well and saying all the right things.
    Not anywhere close to the cockiness of the frozen one.

4. sguy2130 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Wow, a positive Cavs article, I think its obvious Kurt didn’t post it. Nice work Brett.

• BrownsTown - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Kurt only references the Cavs in the context of LeBron’s past or spiting Dan Gilbert.

Or when promoting candidates for his ridiculous “San Antonio Model” of building a sustainable winner in small/mid-market cities. You know, win the #1 overall pick twice when two sure-fire HOFers are on the board and hope that they are low-key enough to re-sign in an unglamorous city. You know, the San Antonio Model.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches