Jan 13, 2012, 2:00 AM EDT
New Warriors coach Mark Jackson set the strategy — hack-a-Howard.
Golden State intentionally fouled Dwight Howard all game long. In addition to the times they just fouled him as he attacked the rim — the Warriors tried to single-cover him with David Lee and other players who just are not big enough
The result was Howard taking 39 free throws (hitting 21, 53.9 percent). That broke the 1962 record of Wilt Chamberlain who took 34.
The strategy made this an ugly game with no flow. It was just hard to watch.
Jackson was interviewed by Craig Sager on TNT. Sager asked Jackson how as a former player and broadcaster he could go with this strategy. Jackson’s response: I don’t care about the viewers, I care about winning games and this makes it more likely.
Howard finished with 45 points and 23 rebounds, leading the Magic to a 117-109 win. Jackson’s strategy didn’t work.
But it did set NBA history.
Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James
Oct 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Oct 30, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Rough first night in the NBA to be guarded by Tony Allen.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
New owner could recoup money over next 15 years
Oct 30, 2014, 2:45 AM EDT
Good night to be the Trail Blazers. Not so much for Kobe Bryant.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
Boston tops Brooklyn, 121-105
Oct 29, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Taj Gibson and the second unit took control of this one.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:13 PM EDT
While the Lakers were flirting with ‘Melo, the Suns came knocking for Thomas.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
The pride of Long Beach State.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
Hornets point guard hits game-winning jumper in overtime against Bucks
Oct 29, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Charlotte makes large comeback
Oct 29, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Barea helped Dallas win 2011 championship, but how much does he have left in the tank?
Oct 29, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Young Tom Brady dressed as a Celtic
Oct 29, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Here’s your chance to see ‘Melo as a knife-wielding henchman.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Boston faces Nets tonight
Oct 29, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Expect a suspension from the league to come down on this at some point.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
That is two Lakers players out for the season with injuries already.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Gilbert also said he would willingly spend into the luxury tax to win.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Some European teams could be part of the tournament.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Kanter will become a restricted free agent next summer.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 0
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 7
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 12
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 37
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27