Today in strange J.R. Smith news from China: J.R.’s sister gets in a brawl

Jan 12, 2012, 6:39 PM EDT

Smith Sister

Well, this is not good. Via Eye on Basketball (with a hat tip to Deadspin and Chinese media outlets):

This time, it wasn’t Smith who did something, but his sister. According to reports, after Smith was fouled, his sister threw a bottle onto the court. And then freaked out, choking a woman and shoving an 80-year-old. The game had to be stopped and Smith actually went into the stands to try and restrain his sister.

Following the game, angry fans of the other team — the Bayi Rockets, also known as the Chinese military team that brawled with Georgetown — demanded an apology and actually held up Smith’s team’s bus for 45 minutes.

Yikes. There’s no good way to spin this, especially with the pictures. Hopefully this can all come to some sort of decent conclusion for the Smith family and the people Ms. Smith went after.

1. edmazeing1 - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Damn babe, you have to remeber your out number over there!!!

2. bighurc89 - Jan 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

She hood just like her brother! The Timberwolves need to sign both to a contract TODAY if he finally gets released. They need that fire.

3. zacksdad - Jan 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I guess you can get the girl out of the hood, but cannot get the hood out of the girl. In her case the hood off the girl.

4. zblott - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I love how people use code when talking about black people, automatically saying “hood” to describe someone who’s black who does something stupid like this. Well the “hood” Smith and his sister are from is Freehold, NJ, a very small town with consistently lower crime rates than the rest of America.

• bighurc89 - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I ain’t using the word hood as describing black people you ignoramass! my wife is black but furthest thing from hood. It’s how act & carry yourself. This was some serious hood ish.

• zblott - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Zack’sDad said “I guess you can get the girl out of the hood, but cannot get the hood out of the girl.” Well she didn’t leave a hood. And for you to use a term that clearly started as a word that means a poor place blacks live that’s usually out of control with gangs and gang-like behavior and to then apply it to how people act is only helping perpetrate stereotypes.

• phaden27 - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Have you ever actually been to Freehold? The only thing good to come out of there was Springsteen.

• zblott - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM

No, but I see their crime rates are consistently much lower than the national average (violent crimes are usually on par or lower, and property crimes are always WAY lower) and home prices are jumping there over the past year — not sure I’d jump to the conclusion that it’s a “hood.”

• KIR - Jan 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Man have a seat. B.S. is B.S.

Go to any black blog and they are saying much worst about this ABW. She needs to go home asap. no excuses

• phaden27 - Jan 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Numbers aren’t always the same as going to see the place for yourself if you get a chance take a drive around Freehold, New Jersey, not just downtown and inner city but all of Freehold and tell me you don’t see Hoods. It’s not about race, people are hurting out there just the same as everyone else, if I quoted that to stat to some of the old timers I know out there they’d laugh their tails off and call me an idiot.

5. frankenderek - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Because they act Hood.

6. anhdazman - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM

That kind of action isn’t tolerated in the US, nor it should be tolorated anywhere else in the world. It does give US a bad name. Few bad apples making us look like idiots.

7. brooklynbulls - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM

You are an idiot. Would you like a free ticket to New York?

• p1nch3dloaf - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Sure, send it to: Laffin@you.com

• p1nch3dloaf - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I’m a black college student and my white roomate told me that line. I ’bout laughed my az off. If I can laff at it, why can’t you? Too much hate ready to jump out at the smallest perceived threat, such as the word ‘watermelon’. Your reaction to me is no different than Smith’s sister. No wonder we die at a younger age…learn to laugh…you might live longer.

peace

8. redbullenergydrink - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM

So did JR bring his entire family to China? Doesn’t his sister have her OWN LIFE in the states?

9. cw3214 - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I’m still hurtin from the beatdown that Georgetown got.

10. jimothyvonstojavic - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Why is jr still in china?

11. qdog112 - Jan 13, 2012 at 7:04 AM

That’s right, hold up our American principles. Choking people, Marines pissing on corpses …. just the American way or something else?

12. brooklynbulls - Jan 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM

@ P1nch….Regardless of what race you claim to be, unlike you, I dont find stupidity amusing. Grow up little boy.

Offering to aid you in your travel so that I can assist you in furthering your education is hardly comparable to shoving an 80 year old woman, unless you’re just as fragile. JR’s sister is an embarrasment and you add to that by spreading ignorant comments about your race because you find being insulted funny.

Embarrasing.

• p1nch3dloaf - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM

“Grow up little boy”

Why? So I can die young like you? I was passing along a caption. If you don’t like it, then give me thumbs down and move along.

Offering a plane ticket or whatever bs about furthering my education is just a politically correct way of masking your rage.

Got Ulcers?

• p1nch3dloaf - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

btw friend, I’m sure you know this, but just in case–

A sign of maturity is the ability to forgive.

13. bkjay - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:04 AM

hey guys this isnt about black or white, it isnt about being from the “hood” or being “country” if any of you guys actually follow sports at all that particular Chinese team, is compromised mostly of military players and their country is using them to send a message, That is the same team that tried to beat up our boys from georgetown U in that disgusting display, say what you want about our college teams that they are nothing but overprivileged hoods but we dont go abroad starting fights never have.chinese Players throwing punches, and their family throwing things at our players on the court, they deserved alot more than what they got,we should applaud jr’s sister regulating like americans supposed to.Jr smith has been around basketball all his life no doubt his sister right there beside him, no reports of this behavior before, these chinese fight dirty, why are we on this blog fighting about “hood” “country” we need to get together and collectively kick that chinese ass

14. jimeejohnson - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Smith himself is a lowlife thug, so it is not surprising to see his sister acting like a a$$hole. The big difference between J.R. and his sister is his sister is a fat POS!

15. jimeejohnson - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM

She a fat POS, unlike J.R., who is just a POS.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches