Jan 12, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
Anderson Varejao is about to step back on the trade rumor circuit.
For as long as both he and Lebron James were together in Cleveland, Varejao came up in trade rumors because he was the one piece on that roster (other than LeBron) teams coveted. If the Cavs were going to bring talent in, Varejao was going to have to go out.
It never happened, then LeBron left and it seemed he would be traded, however talk died down when he tore ligaments in his ankle and missed much of the 2011 season. This season Varejao is healthy and playing the physical defense and doing the dirty work in the paint that plenty of teams could use.
“It would have to be an unbelievable person to get back,” Scott said when asked if the Cavs could part with Varejao. “I look at him as one of the guys you look at and say ‘He’s not going anywhere.’ I just feel that strongly about him and what he means to this team.”
Consider that Scott trying to up the price. Varejao has three years and $27 million left on his deal for a role player that is of modest use to a rebuilding team. They can get some talent and picks back for him that helps them rebuild, and if that offer comes they have to seriously consider it. Varejao can help a contender right now, the Cavs are years away from being in that spot.
But would it shock me if the Cavs kept him? Nothing the Cavs do shocks me any more.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9