Jan 12, 2012, 12:23 PM EST
Anderson Varejao is about to step back on the trade rumor circuit.
For as long as both he and Lebron James were together in Cleveland, Varejao came up in trade rumors because he was the one piece on that roster (other than LeBron) teams coveted. If the Cavs were going to bring talent in, Varejao was going to have to go out.
It never happened, then LeBron left and it seemed he would be traded, however talk died down when he tore ligaments in his ankle and missed much of the 2011 season. This season Varejao is healthy and playing the physical defense and doing the dirty work in the paint that plenty of teams could use.
“It would have to be an unbelievable person to get back,” Scott said when asked if the Cavs could part with Varejao. “I look at him as one of the guys you look at and say ‘He’s not going anywhere.’ I just feel that strongly about him and what he means to this team.”
Consider that Scott trying to up the price. Varejao has three years and $27 million left on his deal for a role player that is of modest use to a rebuilding team. They can get some talent and picks back for him that helps them rebuild, and if that offer comes they have to seriously consider it. Varejao can help a contender right now, the Cavs are years away from being in that spot.
But would it shock me if the Cavs kept him? Nothing the Cavs do shocks me any more.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)