Jan 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
This is no longer 2008 where the Celtics were the “Big 3” with the young Rondo as the apprentice. Coach Doc Rivers doesn’t see it that way, he told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
“This is his team right now,” said coach Doc Rivers….
“Rajon is amazing, period,” said Kevin Garnett. “You talk about big things are coming; big things are here. Rajon is keeping us alive every night. We just have to make sure we follow his lead, and follow his effort, and we’re going to turn this thing around.”
It had looked like this for a while now, but to hear Rivers say it cements things.
Yes, this is the same Rondo the Celtics were talking about trading for Chris Paul a month ago. That didn’t happen and now, without Rondo, they would be lost. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett have both been solid but not near what they once were, and while Ray Allen is having a good season his open looks come because Rondo is drawing defenses, setting the table and getting him the ball.
The Celtics are just 4-5, but that really speaks to the help Rondo is getting — the big three need to be better and Boston needs to find a little more depth. But even when o r if that happens, this is Rondo’s team.
“Rondo’s just playing terrific,” Rivers said. “And we’ve got to allow him to be terrific. We shouldn’t get in his way.”
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 7
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 21
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 15
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7