Jan 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
This is no longer 2008 where the Celtics were the “Big 3” with the young Rondo as the apprentice. Coach Doc Rivers doesn’t see it that way, he told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
“This is his team right now,” said coach Doc Rivers….
“Rajon is amazing, period,” said Kevin Garnett. “You talk about big things are coming; big things are here. Rajon is keeping us alive every night. We just have to make sure we follow his lead, and follow his effort, and we’re going to turn this thing around.”
It had looked like this for a while now, but to hear Rivers say it cements things.
Yes, this is the same Rondo the Celtics were talking about trading for Chris Paul a month ago. That didn’t happen and now, without Rondo, they would be lost. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett have both been solid but not near what they once were, and while Ray Allen is having a good season his open looks come because Rondo is drawing defenses, setting the table and getting him the ball.
The Celtics are just 4-5, but that really speaks to the help Rondo is getting — the big three need to be better and Boston needs to find a little more depth. But even when o r if that happens, this is Rondo’s team.
“Rondo’s just playing terrific,” Rivers said. “And we’ve got to allow him to be terrific. We shouldn’t get in his way.”
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61