Jan 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
This is no longer 2008 where the Celtics were the “Big 3” with the young Rondo as the apprentice. Coach Doc Rivers doesn’t see it that way, he told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
“This is his team right now,” said coach Doc Rivers….
“Rajon is amazing, period,” said Kevin Garnett. “You talk about big things are coming; big things are here. Rajon is keeping us alive every night. We just have to make sure we follow his lead, and follow his effort, and we’re going to turn this thing around.”
It had looked like this for a while now, but to hear Rivers say it cements things.
Yes, this is the same Rondo the Celtics were talking about trading for Chris Paul a month ago. That didn’t happen and now, without Rondo, they would be lost. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett have both been solid but not near what they once were, and while Ray Allen is having a good season his open looks come because Rondo is drawing defenses, setting the table and getting him the ball.
The Celtics are just 4-5, but that really speaks to the help Rondo is getting — the big three need to be better and Boston needs to find a little more depth. But even when o r if that happens, this is Rondo’s team.
“Rondo’s just playing terrific,” Rivers said. “And we’ve got to allow him to be terrific. We shouldn’t get in his way.”
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8