Andre Miller wants to start somewhere, not back up Lawson

Jan 12, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT

Shannon Brown, Marcin Gortat, Andre Miller AP

Ty Lawson is the starting point guard on the Denver Nuggets. Which is how it should be as he is the best point guard on the Denver Nuggets.

But veteran Andre Miller thinks he should be starting somewhere,  he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida. And if the free agent to be can’t do that in the Mile High City….

“At this point in my career, I don’t see myself as a backup,” Miller, who entered the NBA in 1999, said in an interview with FOXSports.com. “For 13 years, I wasn’t a backup before. This is a short season (due to the lockout), so I’ll deal with it. But I don’t see myself as a backup at this point in my career. I don’t see that.”

He got his chance on Wednesday, Lawson was out with a foot injury, and Miller dropped 12 points and 12 assists in the Nuggets win over the Nets. But that is a short-term thing, when he’s healthy Lawson gets the job back. So, what about the veteran Miller as mentor?

“Ty, he’s worked hard. He’s had his mentor with Chauncey Billups,” Miller said of the point guard who was dealt last February from Denver, which led to Lawson becoming the starter. “Why would they need me to come in and put in my two cents?”

I get where Miller is coming from, he’s still a good point guard who would start a lot of places, the thing is Ty Lawson is just better right now and should get the most minutes at the point. Lawson is scoring more points and shooting at a higher percentage (49.6 to 41.6 percent), he’s a better shooter from three, and both the assists and turnover ratios are about the same. Miller is still playing well, but Lawson is better.

Don’t be shocked to hear Miller’s name come up in trade rumors as we start to move closer to the March 15 trade deadline.

1. loungefly74 - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Could the Lakers use Miller? I think so.

• genericcommenter - Jan 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yeah, let’s reunite the 2009 Blazers. For good measure have Blake start over Miller again.

2. lakerluver - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Loungefly, you took the words right out of my mouth. D. Fish and S. Blake are having decent seasons thus far but the LAKERS need a true PG who can get them in their offense and take some pressure off of Kobe.

3. redbaronx - Jan 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I think that would make a lot of sense for the Lakers if they could swing it. The question is, what would the Lakers give back? I’m not sure they could give Denver a lot of value, though they might be able to package a player or two, or add the draft pick they got for Odom.

4. ctguns - Jan 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

As a Denver fan, I don’t want any Laker back in return. We use two pg’s a lot and the laker reserves are brutal

• rushbacker - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Seriously. Andre may indeed be a good fit for LA, but in case Laker fans haven’t noticed, Denver isn’t exactly a farm team this year. The Nugs will be making their own run, and aren’t going to be interested in helping LA out.

5. djanarchy757 - Jan 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

gotta love the leadership

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches