Jan 12, 2012, 8:45 AM EST
Ty Lawson is the starting point guard on the Denver Nuggets. Which is how it should be as he is the best point guard on the Denver Nuggets.
“At this point in my career, I don’t see myself as a backup,” Miller, who entered the NBA in 1999, said in an interview with FOXSports.com. “For 13 years, I wasn’t a backup before. This is a short season (due to the lockout), so I’ll deal with it. But I don’t see myself as a backup at this point in my career. I don’t see that.”
He got his chance on Wednesday, Lawson was out with a foot injury, and Miller dropped 12 points and 12 assists in the Nuggets win over the Nets. But that is a short-term thing, when he’s healthy Lawson gets the job back. So, what about the veteran Miller as mentor?
“Ty, he’s worked hard. He’s had his mentor with Chauncey Billups,” Miller said of the point guard who was dealt last February from Denver, which led to Lawson becoming the starter. “Why would they need me to come in and put in my two cents?”
I get where Miller is coming from, he’s still a good point guard who would start a lot of places, the thing is Ty Lawson is just better right now and should get the most minutes at the point. Lawson is scoring more points and shooting at a higher percentage (49.6 to 41.6 percent), he’s a better shooter from three, and both the assists and turnover ratios are about the same. Miller is still playing well, but Lawson is better.
Don’t be shocked to hear Miller’s name come up in trade rumors as we start to move closer to the March 15 trade deadline.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14