Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
Aggrey Sam sums it up well in one line of his interview with Larry Brown — the legendary coach “likely forgotten more basketball than anybody reading this has ever seen.”
He’s won an NBA title with the Pistons, an NCAA title with Kansas, took UCLA to the final four and even took the pre-Griffin Clippers to the playoffs. He’s an encyclopedia of basketball knowledge. He has disciples and former players in seemingly every college and NBA arena in the nation.
And he’d like to coach again, as he told CSNChicago.com. He’s also realistic about the chances of that happening.
“I want to get back badly. I just don’t know. The direction the NBA’s going, it seems like they just want to get young ex-players and if you look around the league, there’s not a lot of older coaches anymore. ‘Pop’ [Gregg Popovich] and maybe [Rick] Adelman, but most of these guys are younger, so I don’t know if I fit that mold, but I still believe that I have something to offer and I was disappointed the way Charlotte ended. We go to the playoffs and then, 14 games later, I’m fired.
“They get rid of Raymond [Felton] and get rid of Tyson [Chandler], and I have Kwame Brown, Gerald Henderson and [Dominic] McGuire, all of those guys hurt, missing training camp. So, I’m disappointed the way that ended, but I’d love to get back if somebody gave me a chance. But I won’t politic for it. I hope it happens, but I don’t want to see somebody lose their job to get another job, so that’s always sensitive.”
Brown could probably help a few NBA teams, although it’s a long shot he lands a spot. Now, if I were a college AD of a team struggling in a major conference (or an ambitious mid-major) trying to boost my program I’d make the call.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 2
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1