Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Aggrey Sam sums it up well in one line of his interview with Larry Brown — the legendary coach “likely forgotten more basketball than anybody reading this has ever seen.”
He’s won an NBA title with the Pistons, an NCAA title with Kansas, took UCLA to the final four and even took the pre-Griffin Clippers to the playoffs. He’s an encyclopedia of basketball knowledge. He has disciples and former players in seemingly every college and NBA arena in the nation.
And he’d like to coach again, as he told CSNChicago.com. He’s also realistic about the chances of that happening.
“I want to get back badly. I just don’t know. The direction the NBA’s going, it seems like they just want to get young ex-players and if you look around the league, there’s not a lot of older coaches anymore. ‘Pop’ [Gregg Popovich] and maybe [Rick] Adelman, but most of these guys are younger, so I don’t know if I fit that mold, but I still believe that I have something to offer and I was disappointed the way Charlotte ended. We go to the playoffs and then, 14 games later, I’m fired.
“They get rid of Raymond [Felton] and get rid of Tyson [Chandler], and I have Kwame Brown, Gerald Henderson and [Dominic] McGuire, all of those guys hurt, missing training camp. So, I’m disappointed the way that ended, but I’d love to get back if somebody gave me a chance. But I won’t politic for it. I hope it happens, but I don’t want to see somebody lose their job to get another job, so that’s always sensitive.”
Brown could probably help a few NBA teams, although it’s a long shot he lands a spot. Now, if I were a college AD of a team struggling in a major conference (or an ambitious mid-major) trying to boost my program I’d make the call.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70