Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Aggrey Sam sums it up well in one line of his interview with Larry Brown — the legendary coach “likely forgotten more basketball than anybody reading this has ever seen.”
He’s won an NBA title with the Pistons, an NCAA title with Kansas, took UCLA to the final four and even took the pre-Griffin Clippers to the playoffs. He’s an encyclopedia of basketball knowledge. He has disciples and former players in seemingly every college and NBA arena in the nation.
And he’d like to coach again, as he told CSNChicago.com. He’s also realistic about the chances of that happening.
“I want to get back badly. I just don’t know. The direction the NBA’s going, it seems like they just want to get young ex-players and if you look around the league, there’s not a lot of older coaches anymore. ‘Pop’ [Gregg Popovich] and maybe [Rick] Adelman, but most of these guys are younger, so I don’t know if I fit that mold, but I still believe that I have something to offer and I was disappointed the way Charlotte ended. We go to the playoffs and then, 14 games later, I’m fired.
“They get rid of Raymond [Felton] and get rid of Tyson [Chandler], and I have Kwame Brown, Gerald Henderson and [Dominic] McGuire, all of those guys hurt, missing training camp. So, I’m disappointed the way that ended, but I’d love to get back if somebody gave me a chance. But I won’t politic for it. I hope it happens, but I don’t want to see somebody lose their job to get another job, so that’s always sensitive.”
Brown could probably help a few NBA teams, although it’s a long shot he lands a spot. Now, if I were a college AD of a team struggling in a major conference (or an ambitious mid-major) trying to boost my program I’d make the call.
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 6
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 12
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 10
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5