Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
Aggrey Sam sums it up well in one line of his interview with Larry Brown — the legendary coach “likely forgotten more basketball than anybody reading this has ever seen.”
He’s won an NBA title with the Pistons, an NCAA title with Kansas, took UCLA to the final four and even took the pre-Griffin Clippers to the playoffs. He’s an encyclopedia of basketball knowledge. He has disciples and former players in seemingly every college and NBA arena in the nation.
And he’d like to coach again, as he told CSNChicago.com. He’s also realistic about the chances of that happening.
“I want to get back badly. I just don’t know. The direction the NBA’s going, it seems like they just want to get young ex-players and if you look around the league, there’s not a lot of older coaches anymore. ‘Pop’ [Gregg Popovich] and maybe [Rick] Adelman, but most of these guys are younger, so I don’t know if I fit that mold, but I still believe that I have something to offer and I was disappointed the way Charlotte ended. We go to the playoffs and then, 14 games later, I’m fired.
“They get rid of Raymond [Felton] and get rid of Tyson [Chandler], and I have Kwame Brown, Gerald Henderson and [Dominic] McGuire, all of those guys hurt, missing training camp. So, I’m disappointed the way that ended, but I’d love to get back if somebody gave me a chance. But I won’t politic for it. I hope it happens, but I don’t want to see somebody lose their job to get another job, so that’s always sensitive.”
Brown could probably help a few NBA teams, although it’s a long shot he lands a spot. Now, if I were a college AD of a team struggling in a major conference (or an ambitious mid-major) trying to boost my program I’d make the call.
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 4
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 7
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)