Larry Brown wants “badly” to coach again, not sure it happens

Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Aggrey Sam sums it up well in one line of his interview with Larry Brown — the legendary coach “likely forgotten more basketball than anybody reading this has ever seen.”

He’s won an NBA title with the Pistons, an NCAA title with Kansas, took UCLA to the final four and even took the pre-Griffin Clippers to the playoffs. He’s an encyclopedia of basketball knowledge. He has disciples and former players in seemingly every college and NBA arena in the nation.

And he’d like to coach again, as he told CSNChicago.com. He’s also realistic about the chances of that happening.

“I want to get back badly. I just don’t know. The direction the NBA’s going, it seems like they just want to get young ex-players and if you look around the league, there’s not a lot of older coaches anymore. ‘Pop’ [Gregg Popovich] and maybe [Rick] Adelman, but most of these guys are younger, so I don’t know if I fit that mold, but I still believe that I have something to offer and I was disappointed the way Charlotte ended. We go to the playoffs and then, 14 games later, I’m fired.

“They get rid of Raymond [Felton] and get rid of Tyson [Chandler], and I have Kwame Brown, Gerald Henderson and [Dominic] McGuire, all of those guys hurt, missing training camp. So, I’m disappointed the way that ended, but I’d love to get back if somebody gave me a chance. But I won’t politic for it. I hope it happens, but I don’t want to see somebody lose their job to get another job, so that’s always sensitive.”

Brown could probably help a few NBA teams, although it’s a long shot he lands a spot. Now, if I were a college AD of a team struggling in a major conference (or an ambitious mid-major) trying to boost my program I’d make the call.

Bulls fans, you should read the entire story about Brown’s thoughts on Derrick Rose, Tom Thibodeau, Richard Hamilton and the Bulls.

1. leearmon - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Full disclosure, as a Knick fan i absolutely HATE this man, not playing David Lee, forcing a trade of Trevor Ariza for Steve Francis etc. That being said, I think he would do wonders for the Washington Wizards. We all know he’d likely want to trade the entire team after one practice. (Yes even John Wall who now boasts a putrid .341 eFG% and an 86 ORtg!!!) But the level of basketball IQ he would deliver to this team would be a welcomed sight. It would also give the knowledgeable fans in D.C. a sign that better basketball was on the horizon, no matter the cost.

2. dysraw1 - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Larry Brown is one of the best teachers in the game, so sorry it didnt work out here in N.Y talk about a bum deal.

3. xmatt0926x - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Larry Brown can be a bad thing too. He always ends up having “his guys” and a star player always ends up in his dog house. He preaches the right way to play but sometimes you have to have some wiggle room as a coach as well. Ex-Temple coach John Chaney once said that he didn’t work well with all-americans. Larry Brown seems like that kind of coach. He loves the gritty grinders and defenders but seems to have a tough time relating to stars in a league built on stars. The Pistons team he won with were the perfect kind of team for him. No real 30 point per game guys. Just a bunch of good players playing their roles every night.

4. mlblogslaangelfan - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM

You forgot that he is tho only coach to win an NCAA, NBA AND Olympic title. He is a great coach and a great guy.

5. kpow55 - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

The man is a legend…. but, there is always that fear he loses interest, bails after a season, etc… given his track record.

He may have more knowledge than 20 young, former player coaches combined but as a franchise, i’m looking elsewhere, Pick someone with less history that you can groom, that can relate to players, that appreciates the chance and may stay for more than a season or 2.

6. rsahajpa - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM

5 to 1 says he goes back to the Clippers after they fire Del Negro…

7. mojosmagic - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Great coach but also a phony who burns bridges.

8. eyeamlegend - Jan 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Come to the Kongs and whip those boys into shape!!

9. smokehouse56 - Jan 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

If he signs another coaching contract he will just quit again. He stays 2-3 years, resigns and moves on. Who the hell would want that, no matter how much he knows.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches