Jan 11, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics won banner 17 in part because of their size — there are a big, physical team.
Doc Rivers wants his Celtics to start showing it again, he told the Boston Herald.
“We’re just not there yet as a team,” Rivers said after yesterday’s practice. “I think we’ve got a tough group of guys; we just haven’t all bought in yet. It’ll come. I’m not that concerned by it. I just know we need it.
“We’ve got to be a hit-first team, and we’ll get there.”
While there isn’t really a stat for toughness, it’s worth noting that the Celtics have been a below average rebounding team this season (21st in the league overall in percentage of available rebounds grabbed). That was particularly evident against the Pacers the other night when Indy seemed to outwork Boston for a lot of boards.
They’ve also been a below average defensive team, 21st in the league giving up 101 points per 100 possessions.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 0
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 3
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 27
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 10
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17