Jan 11, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
The NBA Development League Showcase is designed to allow its top players a chance to show NBA decision makers that they’ve developed enough to make in the NBA. Erie BayHawks point guard Mike James came into the league without much developing left, but he took full advantage of having NBA decision makers witness his comeback attempt this week.
The 36-year-old James needed just three games in the D-League to show that he was in shape enough to deserve another opportunity — an opportunity he got on Wednesday when the Chicago Bulls decided they needed to insurance after Derrick Rose was injured on Tuesday evening. Pro Basketball Talk has confirmed the transaction that ESPN’s Marc Stein first reported.
James played great on Monday for the BayHawks by scoring 23 points and dishing five assists while leading them to a victory over the Idaho Stampede. Despite not attending an NBA training camp, James clearly outperformed Portland Trail Blazers assignee Armon Johnson in just his second D-League game, showing he still has the skills that made him a 20 point per game scorer not all that long ago in the NBA. The eight-year NBA veteran regressed a bit in his second game as he scored just six points while turning the ball over five times, but it’s likely his familiarity With NBA offenses made it an easy decision for Chicago to call him up just in case he’s needed while Rose is out.
James is the second call-up of the Showcase as the San Antonio Spurs called up Malcolm Thomas from the Los Angeles D-Fenders on Monday.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4