Jan 10, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
There’s a reason, beyond just good scouting, that the San Antonio Spurs seem to find guys deep in the draft who can contribute. It’s a culture thing, a character thing. They have built a culture of responsibility and accountability around that franchise — no matter who you are you fit the system and play your role. Guys walk in and buy in.
When you watch the Washington Wizards play this year… well, that is pretty much the opposite. There is some talent there but everyone is out for themselves, nobody seems to try and fit in the system.
Michael Lee at the Washington Post spoke with scouts and front office people from other teams about the Wizards and the conversation was more about the toxic culture than just the lack of talent on the Wizards.
“No team in the league, if the environment was good, would be 0-for-the-season,” (an assistant GM for another team) said. “Whatever the optimum each guy has, it’ll never be realized when it’s dysfunctional. The talent on that roster can’t win. You can’t win with Andray Blatche. I don’t care what anybody says. He has talent. He has some talent. But tell me where he’s won. . . . John Wall is a young player. Where’s the veteran leadership for those guys? Gilbert [Arenas] was the former example. What kind of example was that?”
“teaser talent that isn’t ready for the prime time yet. It teases you in games, but at the end of the day, you aren’t going to get the win. Flip’s hands are tied there, because he doesn’t have a lot to work with.”
Flip Saunders job remains safe for now, according to everyone close to the team. And it’s not like Saunders forgot how to coach.
What Washington needs now is a veteran or veterans who will start to change the culture in that locker room. Leaders, who Wall and maybe others will follow. There are stories about how Kevin Garnett came into Boston and during training camp drills his first year pushed veteran Paul Pierce to do more, verbally and by example. That is the kind of thing a coach alone can’t do. The Wizards need a guy like that… and even then it will take some roster changes.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 12
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 39
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19