Video: Still not buying Kevin Love as league’s best four

Jan 10, 2012, 9:17 PM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

I like Kevin Love‘s attitude — he thinks he is the best four in the NBA and you want a star player to think that.

Although, do you want him to say it? CSN New England’s Donny Marshall says no — and neither he nor I think Love is the best four in the league, anyway. Good, but not the best. We discussed and debated who is the best right now on NBC’s SportsTalk today. Of course, I am right is saying LaMarcus Aldridge, but Donny says Blake Griffin and, well, he’s close and may top every sane person’s list in another year or two.

Also, do you think Dirk Nowitzki is a four? A three? And as Donny says, LeBron does play some four and if you’re going to count him in the mix the list instantly changes with a new leader. There is no easy answer because defining the four spot any more is hard.

1. Justin - Jan 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM

People are afraid to call Love the best PF because he isn’t a freak athlete. He can barely jump a stack of phone books. However, it isn’t a coincident that he is breaking all types of records. Why do we so easily look over that? Because he is on a bad team? Griffin was on a bad team last year mind you. I am not gonna say much about Aldridge because I have not seen him all that often. More importantly did Humphries end 6th then? Where is he at?

• pudgalvin - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I think it’s cause he’s a stat filler that doesn’t seem to have a huge impact on games. Reminds me of Carlos Boozer with that soft big man game.

2. ezwriter69 - Jan 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Love v. Griffin… Rebounding, Love. Shooting, Love by a mile. Passing, Love by a mile. Defense, neither is very good, a push. Griffin takes it to the hoop and dunks better. Leadership, Love.
    Love v. Aldridge… Rebounding, Love by a mile (14rpg – 7). Shooting, Love. Passing, Love by a mile. Defense, Aldridge. Aldridge takes it to the hoop and dunks better. Leadership, push.

Love > Aldridge or Griffin. Both are better And-1 players than Love, both are flashier more likely to be on SportsCenter, but Love is the better NBA basketball player.

• ezwriter69 - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM

A 4 playing 37 minutes a game and only getting 7 rebounds per game, as Aldridge is disqualifies himself from discussion as the best… to me, a 4 who doesn’t rebound (one board every 5+ minutes is pathetic) isn’t a 4.

• goforthanddie - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM

He doesn’t need to rebound so much, that’s what they pay Camby for. And he doesn’t leave many behind.

• goforthanddie - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Oops, was a reply to ezwriter69.

3. claymatthewsisonsteroids - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Love doesn’t play defense because he’s too concerned with getting his rebounds, especially in this contract year. I’ve watched every Twolve game this year and can count on one hand how often he’s tried to block a jump shot. I like him and hope the Wolves resign him, but he’s not a top four PF yet.

4. david8726 - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM

If we were going purely based on the box score, it would be difficult to argue against Love as the best PF in the league.

But how is his defense? I’m not gonna claim to have watched many Timberwolves games, because I haven’t. So, I don’t have much first-hand knowledge about his defensive skills. However, a common criticism I heard about him last year is that he’s not a very good defense player.

That matters a lot. If that hasn’t changed, then it lowers his value.

5. willardj - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM

The thing about Love is that he doesn’t have a go-to move in the post. Most of his points come from 3 pointers and put-backs. That’s why he shoots a low percentage. He’s a fantastic rebounder, good scorer, and OK defender. But that doesn’t make him the best in the league.

Blake Griffin is definitely better than Love. He is a much more dominant scorer and just as good of a rebounder. I think he’s the best right now. 25-10 while shooting 56%.

• metalhead65 - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM

let me know when griffen does more than dunk, it is easy to shoot that well when all you are doing is dunking.

6. cbt22 - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I think Love has to be top 3 if not one, he is averaging something like 23 and 15, has a double double every game and his d is much much better then last year. I am a wolves fan but i dont think there are any 4 better simply because Love and shoot the 3 and rebound better then any one in the league. Also if you say he gets stats because he is on a bad team hasnt paid attention to the wolves this year, yea they dont have a great record but they have been in every game this year except one because of Love and Rubio. Love is the best PF in the league and when he finally gets his post game down no one will be able to deny that k love is the best.

7. lebronsinsecurity - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

No offense, but it’s silly for the people above to claim Love isn’t the best while claiming they haven’t watch much of him.. Not to say Love is hands down the best, cause LA is close.. Blake is maybe 3rd, but that’s iffy, he’s a highlight reel that gets the ESPN folks excited, but his outside game is suspect and he’s not even close to Loves numbers.. Kurt is one of those guys that tries to make his posts controversial so idiots like myself comment and give his site more clicks..

8. jtc3305 - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Yeahhhh I think I’ll put the guy who knocked off Kobe, Durant, and Lebron/Wade in the playoffs last year at the top…….

9. notacelticsfan - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM

This is beyond silly at this point.

10. metalhead65 - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM

admit it the real reason you don’t like him saying that is because he is white right?if griffen or any other of the people you claim are better said it that would be ok. his team is lousy so his stats do not matter? did I miss the part where the clippers are a first place team? where they winners before paul got there? but his stats are ok because? part of winning is doing the best you can for your team night in and night out and he does that so it is not his fault the team sucks. so he is just suppose to stop playing after the second quarter when they are behind by 25 so he doesn’t “pad” his stats?

• trueloyalt - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Let me put it like this…the BEST players at their position take their teams to the playoffs. That’s the bottom line. Derrick Rose takes any team that he is a member of to the playoffs. Kobe Bryant takes any team that he is member of to the playoffs. LeBron James…ditto. Dwight Howard…ditto. Those are arguably the best players in the league at the 1, 2, 3, and 5 respectively. Kevin Love? Best 4 in the league? Hold on for a sec, let me check the standings…

• metalhead65 - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

sure d rose takes the wizards to the playoffs or the raptors to the playoffs or the bocats ,yea right. they have to be surrounded by other talent as well and now with rubio and williams on board look for the wolves to improve and take the next step in a year or so after they get the experiance of playin the nba first.

• brewdogg - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Lebron James did not play a playoff game until his third season. Dwight Howard…ditto. But they take any team they are on to the playoffs, right? Perhaps they needed either a) time to get their game up to speed, or b) a better supporting cast. Maybe?

So your contention would be that any of those 4 players, playing for the Timberwolves teams of the past couple seasons, would have taken them to the playoffs. Is that right? Are you really going to tell me that if you plopped Derrick Rose in Washington instead of Wall last year that they would have made it? Or that Cleveland was jsut a Dwight Howard away from not having the worst record in the league? Please….

So let’s review the choices for the best 4 in the game. Someone mentioned Gasol. 3 playoffs in 7 years before being traded to LA, all three ending in first-roound losses. Zach Randolph? (chuckle) Griffin? Hasn’t been there. Bosh? 2 first-round losses in 7 seasons with Toronto. Stoudemire? Despite all the talent on those Suns teams, they missed the playoffs twice during his tenure there. Shall we continue?

I suppose I could have wrote a lot less there…. I could have said much the same thing by typing “You, sir, are a complete idiot.” But it’s more fun this way….

11. hoopsmccann - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Anybody ever hear of Pau Gasol? Not even being mentioned in the discussion? Haven’t numerous pundits called him the most talented big man in the league? (and he’s back at the 4 now where he belongs) What would the Lakers have done the past 4 years without him? He carried the Lakers and played more minutes than anyone during all of Bynum’s downtime. I think his numbers have been better than L Aldrige. I heard the Wolves before the season tried to trade Love to the Lakers for Gasol and the Lakers turned it down. Maybe it was just a rumour.

12. passerby23 - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Nowitzki a three? Really?? Has anyone in the universe ever called Dirk a three? He’s a 7-footer. He has only ever played the four or five.

I know this is a little dated now, but Portland is not the best team in the West. It’s still OKC and I have the Spurs ahead of them too. You could argue the Lakers as well.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches