Jan 10, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT
The USA will send 12 men to London this summer to suit up and defend America’s gold medal from the last Olympic games.
And that dozen will come from these 19 guys, according Chris Sheridan at SheridanHoops.com who broke the story of the preliminary roster. We’ve broken them out by position (they are alphabetical in their category):
What seven players get trimmed from that list? My guess (barring injury) is Billups, Gordon, Westbrook, Williams, Aldridge, Iguodala and Odom. Tough cuts, but I think you need the size of Chandler and Howard to match up with the size of Spain (Gasol brothers plus Serge Ibaka). It’s tough at the guard spot, do you cut D-Will, and if you keep him do you hack out Rose or cut Chandler as the big? I love Aldridge but for the international game I want Love more because he can space the floor and knock down the shorter international three. Do you keep them both and cut Griffin? Probably not.
Coach K. has some hard choices ahead of him. The roster needs to be submitted to the Olympics June 20, which is before the Finals may even end. Team USA camp is scheduled to open July 5 in Las Vegas.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30