Jan 10, 2012, 10:19 AM EDT
Knicks fans are not wrong to hope — their team’s backcourt play has been bad enough that the enigmatic Davis and rookie Shumpert provide the best hope. It’s just that, well, it’s the enigmatic Davis and a rookie who keeps cramping up that are the saviors of this season.
Davis is still on track to be back about the end of January, Mike D’Antoni told the local media Monday. His exact words were, “The end of January more or less,” reports Adam Zagoria. Davis has a bulging disc in his back. That’s disc, not anything else.
With the Clippers, in addition to being injury prone Davis was inconsistent and unfocused on the court. There were games or parts of games when he was brilliant. There were games when he seemed to go through the motions, take pull-up threes early in the shot clock and generally take the team out of its rhythm. He talked a better game after the trade to Cleveland and seemed to be a real leader there and played well. He seems more focused now. But the history concerns me.
Shumpert has been good as a rookie, providing some athleticism, scoring and he assists on about one-in-five Knicks’ baskets when he is on the floor. There’s a lot to like, but rookies still make rookie mistakes.
There is reason for hope with them, but that hope is on hold for a few more weeks.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery