Baron Davis expected back around end of January

Jan 10, 2012, 10:19 AM EDT

baron davis Getty Images

Here is why we have some doubts about the Knicks: They are waiting for the backcourt of Baron Davis and Iman Shumpert to save them.

Knicks fans are not wrong to hope — their team’s backcourt play has been bad enough that the enigmatic Davis and rookie Shumpert provide the best hope. It’s just that, well, it’s the enigmatic Davis and a rookie who keeps cramping up that are the saviors of this season.

Davis is still on track to be back about the end of January, Mike D’Antoni told the local media Monday. His exact words were, “The end of January more or less,” reports Adam Zagoria. Davis has a bulging disc in his back. That’s disc, not anything else.

With the Clippers, in addition to being injury prone Davis was inconsistent and unfocused on the court. There were games or parts of games when he was brilliant. There were games when he seemed to go through the motions, take pull-up threes early in the shot clock and generally take the team out of its rhythm. He talked a better game after the trade to Cleveland and seemed to be a real leader there and played well. He seems more focused now. But the history concerns me.

Shumpert has been good as a rookie, providing some athleticism, scoring and he assists on about one-in-five Knicks’ baskets when he is on the floor. There’s a lot to like, but rookies still make rookie mistakes.

There is reason for hope with them, but that hope is on hold for a few more weeks.

1. cap1378 - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Davis is not the answer. He’s going to be a problem. Dwight is the answer !!!! They should do whatever they have to, to get Dwight in ny.

2. spree8 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

man you seriously should stop hatin on the knicks. you’ll probably deny it but everyone in here can feel it im sure. you know shump is an exciting rookie and he’ll turn out to be a hella player. He has an impact on both ends of the floor. I mean it is considerably bigger impact than people gave him credit for. of course he’s gonna make some rookie mistakes but so what! it dont mean that he cant be the hope.

• Kurt Helin - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Hope for this year? Plus, re: Baron, I have been a fan of his since college and watched him up close with the Clippers. That’s why the caution. You realize the Clippers and Cavaliers dumped him, right?

• thenoblefacehumper - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM

The Clippers and Cavs “dumping” him was 100% salary based. Do you ever think about things before you write them? Not when it comes to the Knicks.

• Kurt Helin - Jan 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Clippers staffers told me directly it had less to do with the salary than getting his work ethic away from their new young core. Blake Griffin changed the culture of that franchise and they didn’t want Davis’ influence around. The salary was a part of it, certainly, but if you think Davis has played consistently and well the past few seasons you have not watched him play.

I actually want the Knicks to do well, but I have seen Davis up close for years and he will have to prove to me he will bring it nightly over the long haul at this point.

• thenoblefacehumper - Jan 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

“I actually want the Knicks to do well”

…Do you think your readers are stupid?

• spree8 - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I’ll give you the baron and inconsistency thing. I dont know what will he be able to do. we’ll just have to wait and see i guess. I was talkin about shump. And yea hope for this year as well as for the ones up ahead. you can see that he’s a difference maker when he’s on the court. and considering he’s only the 4th hope of this team i think it’s pretty good for the team. dont get me wrong tho I aint claiming the knicks are gonna win the title this year. it would be a long shot for me to say that.

• nikedunks13 - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Kurt, baron doesn’t have to carry anymore. Her just has to make passes and hit some open shots. And I think everyone thinks and thought that baron Davis trade was kind dumb.

• nikedunks13 - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Let’s settle down on the shumpert talk, the knicks have been alot better with him, but I think it had alot to do with toney Douglas being off the court he’s awful. Also remember how excited everyone was about fields? knicks fans get excited too early. And I’m not hating on the knicks, I hope they are good.

3. makjak2 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

“That’s disc, not anything else.” So his tool is okay? Okay great.

4. clifford84 - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Anti-Knicks bias on this site grows stale. At least get your facts right: Shumpert averages 30+ minutes a game, not “one in five baskets.”

PS: Learn to write.

• Kurt Helin - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Note that I said he assists on about 1 in 5 Knicks baskets when he is on the floor (about 22 percent of the baskets when he is on the floor, actually), I did not mention minutes. He has played well, I just don’t think he and Baron can suddenly turn the Knicks around this season. Mostly because I don’t trust Baron to be consistent.

5. cnyphinfan - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Why the negativity? Shumpert is a young promising rookie – you can’t deny that he impacts the game more than many rookies so far this year. And they are just cramps which is normal for a young player not used to playing so many minutes. In fact, the Knicks have two rookies who impact the game positively when they on the floor if you include Harrellson.

Bottom line – the Knicks are better than last, fun to watch and are getting better not worse. If Baron gives them anything – they are a top 4 team in the East. With him starting and Fields at the ‘2’ if he shakes his slump, you now have solidified the starting unit and the bench.

6. cantonbound13 - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM

No more Isiah is reason enough to have hope!

7. r0llinginthedeep - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Baron plays well when he is inspired, it’s been well proven throughout his career, and he’s usually most inspired when he has a great set of fans behind him. Look at him with Golden State who have some of the best fans in the league. He was tremendous there. And it’s no coincidence that last year he had his best stint with the Clippers once Blake Griffin was able to play and the fans started turning up, also playing well when traded to Cleveland because they actually have a good set of fans there (even post-Lebron, which I thought was highly commendable).

Now he goes to New York where the atmosphere is electric. By no means will he be an all-star caliber player again, but if the Knicks get the Baron that was in Cleveland last year then that’s a massive upgrade over anything they currently have in the backcourt (and I love me some Iman Shumpert!).

8. thenoblefacehumper - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Kurt, I just want you to know that NOBODY takes your posts on the Knicks seriously.

9. cap1378 - Jan 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I think shump is a great addition. It’s Davis that we r all worried about. And if he doesn’t work out….. Then what? we need a point guard that is young and can facilitate the ball. Fat A$$ baron isn’t the long term answer. It’s a band aid on the problem.

10. cap1378 - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

What does everyone think of Amare and Chandler for Howard? Is it possible?

• nikedunks13 - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM

If the knicks could get Dwight for those two they should do it, then they might be able to get Deron Williams too.

11. spree8 - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

as much as I love Howard. As a knick fan, my heart would be broken if we let go of Amare. He means so much for the city.

12. cap1378 - Jan 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I’m not saying its not a slap in the face to amare and chandler because it is but business is business. A guy like Howard doesn’t come along too often. How about deron @ the 1. Shump @ 2 melo @3. Anyone with size that can rebound @ 4. And Howard @5. That’s a championship team in 2013

• makjak2 - Jan 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM

stop spouting nonsense, you’re making the rest of us Knicks fans look bad

13. cap1378 - Jan 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

The Knicks have opened talks that would send Amare Stoudemire to Orlando in a swap to rent Dwight Howard, reports Donny Marshall — former NBA player and current CSNNE reporter — on NBC SportsTalk Thursday.

Nonsense?

14. cluelessdufus - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM

i believe that davis can give a nice lift when the games in the clutch give it to davis that his best trait but he wont be a 20 points 10 assists like early in his career but i see 17 points 8 assists it depends if he starts. but this a clutch keep the pase going guy carmelo anthony and amare stoudimire arent those players those are high scoring more of someone who gets the game going there not clutch players so this could make the knicks a real contender

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches