Jan 9, 2012, 7:58 AM EDT
How could the 0-8 Washington Wizards come off as more dysfunctional? Well….
Rashard Lewis got into a pregame fight with assistant coach Sam Cassell and refused to play in the Wizards loss to Minnesota Sunday, reports to CSNWashington.com. He was not on the Wizards bench during the game (officially because of a sore knee, but if you believe that you probably believe Sammy Hagar is the greatest rock guitarist of all time).
That would be Rashard “I’m making $22.2 million this year” Lewis, by the way.
That would be Lewis the “stretch four” who is shooting 22.2 percent from three this season. Averaging just 8.7 points per game. He of the 8.2 PER (the kind of number you expect from D-League call ups).
Lewis, like everyone on the Wizards, is struggling. And I have no idea what this fight was about. But I’ll bet you that Cassell is right.
This young Wizards team desperately needs veteran leadership to show it how to prepare, how to compete, how to be professional at the NBA level. They are not getting that from Lewis.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 18
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4