Phil Jackson reiterates he doesn’t plan to return to coaching

Jan 9, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT

Phil Jackson Getty Images

Phil Jackson loves to leave little threads dangling when he answers questions. Ones you can choose to pull at if you wish to see if the entire statement unravels.

He’s still doing it.

When Sam Smith at Bulls.com if he plans to return to coaching, Jackson is clear… then comes back a little. So Phil, do you plan to coach in the NBA again?

“No,” said Phil Jackson with his practiced, slightly bemused look.

“I don’t,” added Jackson, though there rarely is a finality to the declarations of the never say never dreamer. “But that doesn’t mean I won’t. I don’t think I’ll coach again. I’d like to see if there’s another side of basketball, perhaps. If I’m back in full (health) activity at a level I want to be active at, I may not even want to go back to coaching.

Jackson said for the next year he wants to get his health right (knee replacement surgery) and to write another book. After that…

Don’t expect him on the sidelines. Watching him last season, you could tell he was there but it wasn’t the same. The fire was gone. I do not think even the chance to coach his Knicks — where he was as a player — would be enough to get him back on the bench. It has reached the point where the grind of coaching — the travel, the sleeping in beds that are too short, the time away from family and grandkids — outweighed the joys. I doubt that changes.

I think he’s love a consultant’s role, and he might be good at it. There is a wealth of basketball knowledge in his head, not to mention a different perspective than a lot of people in the game. You get the feeling that is what he wants, not to sit on the sidelines again.

But there is that loose thread….

1. jckid21 - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Dolan has money to waste. I bet Phil would put that book and surgery on hold for a 3 year 45 mil. deal.

Phil’s ego trumps his words every time. If Dolan drops 15 mil a year on him he would be getting paid a little less than Rudy Gay, which is good for the 24th highest salary in the NBA. Not bad for an inactive player.

• themanchine - Jan 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

He’ll replace Donnie Walsh and bring in Brian Shaw to succeed Pringles.

• steelyres211 - Jan 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Carmelo Anthony in the triangle? I think the world might implode.

2. goforthanddie - Jan 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

He got lucky, getting both Jordan and Kobe. He has no reason to come back for anything less.

• blueintown - Jan 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

You’re an idiot.

• dadaboi - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM

blueintown, care to explain why? At least try to give some credible facts and evidence.

• blueintown - Jan 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Gladly, dadaboi. A coaches job is to maximize the talent at his disposal. Phil Jackson has eleven NBA championships. This isn’t rocket science. If someone went on a baseball site and ranted about Babe Ruth being “lucky” or “overrated” or used any other adjective to diminish his accomplishments, any sane person would call them an idiot. The same goes for people who paint the most accomplished coach in the history of professional sports in this light.

3. isujames - Jan 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

he shouldnt because without jordan and bryant his percieved brilliance would be exposed!!!!

• blueintown - Jan 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

You’re also an idiot.

4. dannymac17 - Jan 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Blueintown schoolin duh haterz!

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures