Jan 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Welcome to our morning look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
After the game Sunday, Lakers coach Mike Brown said Matt Barnes had won the starting small forward job with his play. He certainly is playing with a lot more energy than Metta World Peace right now, who got just 12 minutes against Memphis.
Stephen Curry is going back to the doctor who did the surgery on his ankle this summer so he can take a look at the impact of the recent sprains. I’m sure the Doc will be thrilled with what Curry has done to his handiwork.
Video of all seven times Stephen Curry has sprained his ankle. In case you’re feeling masochistic.
Jamal Mashburn wants to be part of the group that purchases the New Orleans Hornets.
In the new configuration of Madison Square Garden, the advanced scouts for other teams got kicked to the press box at the top of the building to make way for more pricy seats. The scouts don’t like it (they can’t hear the coach they are scouting call plays). So, other teams have kicked the Knicks advanced scouts up to the rafters, even though there are better seats. It’s getting worked out.
The Suns new floor is too slick and players are concerned. It is getting redone.
A dozen players who have shown real progress in their games this young season.
What’s wrong with the Knicks? Here are a few answers. My one sentence summation: If you’re going to bring in Mike D’Antoni to run seven seconds or less, give him players to fit the system (for example, a point guard) not ill-fitting pieces.
The Lakers expect to get Josh McRoberts back this week. And there was much rejoicing.
In China, J.R. Smith put up 57 points on just 38 shots, but his team still lost by 15.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 1
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 3
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 58
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 67
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31