Jan 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Welcome to our morning look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
After the game Sunday, Lakers coach Mike Brown said Matt Barnes had won the starting small forward job with his play. He certainly is playing with a lot more energy than Metta World Peace right now, who got just 12 minutes against Memphis.
Stephen Curry is going back to the doctor who did the surgery on his ankle this summer so he can take a look at the impact of the recent sprains. I’m sure the Doc will be thrilled with what Curry has done to his handiwork.
Video of all seven times Stephen Curry has sprained his ankle. In case you’re feeling masochistic.
Jamal Mashburn wants to be part of the group that purchases the New Orleans Hornets.
In the new configuration of Madison Square Garden, the advanced scouts for other teams got kicked to the press box at the top of the building to make way for more pricy seats. The scouts don’t like it (they can’t hear the coach they are scouting call plays). So, other teams have kicked the Knicks advanced scouts up to the rafters, even though there are better seats. It’s getting worked out.
The Suns new floor is too slick and players are concerned. It is getting redone.
A dozen players who have shown real progress in their games this young season.
What’s wrong with the Knicks? Here are a few answers. My one sentence summation: If you’re going to bring in Mike D’Antoni to run seven seconds or less, give him players to fit the system (for example, a point guard) not ill-fitting pieces.
The Lakers expect to get Josh McRoberts back this week. And there was much rejoicing.
In China, J.R. Smith put up 57 points on just 38 shots, but his team still lost by 15.
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 0
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 20
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 22
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16