Jan 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Welcome to our morning look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT).
After the game Sunday, Lakers coach Mike Brown said Matt Barnes had won the starting small forward job with his play. He certainly is playing with a lot more energy than Metta World Peace right now, who got just 12 minutes against Memphis.
Stephen Curry is going back to the doctor who did the surgery on his ankle this summer so he can take a look at the impact of the recent sprains. I’m sure the Doc will be thrilled with what Curry has done to his handiwork.
Video of all seven times Stephen Curry has sprained his ankle. In case you’re feeling masochistic.
Jamal Mashburn wants to be part of the group that purchases the New Orleans Hornets.
In the new configuration of Madison Square Garden, the advanced scouts for other teams got kicked to the press box at the top of the building to make way for more pricy seats. The scouts don’t like it (they can’t hear the coach they are scouting call plays). So, other teams have kicked the Knicks advanced scouts up to the rafters, even though there are better seats. It’s getting worked out.
The Suns new floor is too slick and players are concerned. It is getting redone.
A dozen players who have shown real progress in their games this young season.
What’s wrong with the Knicks? Here are a few answers. My one sentence summation: If you’re going to bring in Mike D’Antoni to run seven seconds or less, give him players to fit the system (for example, a point guard) not ill-fitting pieces.
The Lakers expect to get Josh McRoberts back this week. And there was much rejoicing.
In China, J.R. Smith put up 57 points on just 38 shots, but his team still lost by 15.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20