Jan 9, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Kevin Love is a pretty special player. A double-double machine who on offense has smooth moves around the rim to go with shooting range out to the three-point line. He’s as good a rebounder as there is in the game.
So mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the best power forward of them all? (If by all you mean active players. And today the roll of the mirror will be played by Kevin Love in an interview on ESPN 1500.)
I believe I’m the best ’4′ in the league. I think you have to believe that you’re the best. I think Mohammad Ali even said, ‘I was the greatest before I knew I was.’ I think everybody needs to have that mindset. That’s part of winning the mind game from the very start. You have to believe it. You have to hold yourself accountable.
He’s right, that should be his mindset. But is he the best? Not in my book.
Here’s my top five list for this season. And to keep it simple I’m going to put Kevin Durant and LeBron James at the three so we don’t count them. Veteran honorable mention go to Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan.
5. Blake Griffin (Clippers). He’s just scratching the surface of how good he can be, especially on defense, and he is starting to show it with a better midrange game to go with his high-flying dunks.
4. Pau Gasol (Lakers). Still the guy with best footwork and fundamentals around the basket, a deft passer, a solid midrange game and a better defender than he gets credit for. Plus, he has those rings.
3. Kevin Love (Timberwolves). Offensively he’s a force, but he needs to defend better to move up the list.
2. Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks). It’s almost unfair because he breaks the mold of a power forward, he is deadly from three but he can work from the post. The best pure shooter ever to play the position.
1. LaMarcus Aldridge. This season he has been the best when you consider leading your team at both ends of the floor — 22.7 points per game, 7.6 rebounds and a key part of the Blazers defense. On a Blazers team looking for guys to step up, he has.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Vegas nailed the lines for season win totals for four NBA teams almost exactly.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
The matchups aren’t all set, but this gives us an idea of who plays when as the playoffs open this weekend.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Knicks make it official and announce they’ve signed Lamar Odom for the remainder of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Durant and LeBron at the top of the MVP ballot is easy, it’s filling out spots 3-5 that is the challenge.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Kohl is going to pitch in $100 million to get a new arena built in Milwaukee.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Teams will like his speed, but he’s destined for a second round pick.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
While the Lakers end their dreary season Kobe Bryant is already on vacation.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
Clippers forward: ‘It doesn’t really affect me, but so many guys would probably benefit’
Apr 16, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
The Spurs have crushed the Grizzlies and Mavericks this season, so those teams are motivated to avoid a trip to the Riverwalk to start the postseason.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
First team nearly a clean sweep, but one top teamer didn’t even make other two ballots
Apr 16, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
NBA could still rescind the technical
Apr 16, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
New research delivers answer
Apr 16, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
New York based hedge fund billionaires Marc Lasry and Wes Edens are buying the team but keeping it in Wisconsin, they just need to get a new arena built.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Two very different candidates signify wide search
Apr 16, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Knicks center knows, though, he might have no choice
Apr 16, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
You can’t do enough Animal House references to make me happy.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Duo leaves Michigan after their sophomore years
Apr 16, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
How many years feature three of the best records in a franchise’s history?
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Bulls give Greg Smith, Ronnie Brewer, Lou Amnundson and Mike James multi-year contracts
Apr 16, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Nothing like waiting until the last minute to figure things out.
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 4
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 16
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 22
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1