Jan 9, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Kevin Love is a pretty special player. A double-double machine who on offense has smooth moves around the rim to go with shooting range out to the three-point line. He’s as good a rebounder as there is in the game.
So mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the best power forward of them all? (If by all you mean active players. And today the roll of the mirror will be played by Kevin Love in an interview on ESPN 1500.)
I believe I’m the best ‘4’ in the league. I think you have to believe that you’re the best. I think Mohammad Ali even said, ‘I was the greatest before I knew I was.’ I think everybody needs to have that mindset. That’s part of winning the mind game from the very start. You have to believe it. You have to hold yourself accountable.
He’s right, that should be his mindset. But is he the best? Not in my book.
Here’s my top five list for this season. And to keep it simple I’m going to put Kevin Durant and LeBron James at the three so we don’t count them. Veteran honorable mention go to Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan.
5. Blake Griffin (Clippers). He’s just scratching the surface of how good he can be, especially on defense, and he is starting to show it with a better midrange game to go with his high-flying dunks.
4. Pau Gasol (Lakers). Still the guy with best footwork and fundamentals around the basket, a deft passer, a solid midrange game and a better defender than he gets credit for. Plus, he has those rings.
3. Kevin Love (Timberwolves). Offensively he’s a force, but he needs to defend better to move up the list.
2. Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks). It’s almost unfair because he breaks the mold of a power forward, he is deadly from three but he can work from the post. The best pure shooter ever to play the position.
1. LaMarcus Aldridge. This season he has been the best when you consider leading your team at both ends of the floor — 22.7 points per game, 7.6 rebounds and a key part of the Blazers defense. On a Blazers team looking for guys to step up, he has.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT
LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The injuries continue to pile up for the Rockets.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
Blatt knows James is unlikely to get the league-wide award this season.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The Thunder defense has become a mess, which is bad for the playoffs.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
What is in James Harden’s beard?
Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty spot on. And cold-blooded.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
He should be back next season, the final one of this contract with Oklahoma City.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Drake and Lou Williams are tight.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Cousey said not Shaq, not Ewing, nobody reminded him of Russell like Whiteside.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
You do not see this every day.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
As everyone braces for 2016 spike, another big bump could follow
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge
Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston
Mar 27, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Hornets’ playoff chances looking dim
Mar 27, 2015, 9:06 AM EDT
Bradley Beal questionable
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He hit 12 straight shots at one point.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2