Jan 9, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Kevin Love is a pretty special player. A double-double machine who on offense has smooth moves around the rim to go with shooting range out to the three-point line. He’s as good a rebounder as there is in the game.
So mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the best power forward of them all? (If by all you mean active players. And today the roll of the mirror will be played by Kevin Love in an interview on ESPN 1500.)
I believe I’m the best ‘4’ in the league. I think you have to believe that you’re the best. I think Mohammad Ali even said, ‘I was the greatest before I knew I was.’ I think everybody needs to have that mindset. That’s part of winning the mind game from the very start. You have to believe it. You have to hold yourself accountable.
He’s right, that should be his mindset. But is he the best? Not in my book.
Here’s my top five list for this season. And to keep it simple I’m going to put Kevin Durant and LeBron James at the three so we don’t count them. Veteran honorable mention go to Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan.
5. Blake Griffin (Clippers). He’s just scratching the surface of how good he can be, especially on defense, and he is starting to show it with a better midrange game to go with his high-flying dunks.
4. Pau Gasol (Lakers). Still the guy with best footwork and fundamentals around the basket, a deft passer, a solid midrange game and a better defender than he gets credit for. Plus, he has those rings.
3. Kevin Love (Timberwolves). Offensively he’s a force, but he needs to defend better to move up the list.
2. Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks). It’s almost unfair because he breaks the mold of a power forward, he is deadly from three but he can work from the post. The best pure shooter ever to play the position.
1. LaMarcus Aldridge. This season he has been the best when you consider leading your team at both ends of the floor — 22.7 points per game, 7.6 rebounds and a key part of the Blazers defense. On a Blazers team looking for guys to step up, he has.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Rose hasn’t practiced since playing 24 minutes in Saturday’s win over Brazil.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Stephen Curry says yes, Kevin Durant says no.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Nedovic had hoped to play for Serbia, but couldn’t get medical clearance.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Video game Curry doesn’t come close to shooting as well as the real life version.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
If Bledsoe decides to play for the qualifying offer, he’ll almost certainly bolt as an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Aug 20, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Strangest comparison ever. And pretty accurate.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Photo is excellent.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Miami could use the depth, but at this point the pickings are slim.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Move would be purely financial for Philadelphia, but if Stoudemire is contributing at that time, Knicks may pass.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He makes some points.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
It goes much deeper than that.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
You cannot push all the way back from knee surgery without having pain.
Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good
Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Kobe has plenty of doubters now to fuel him.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Best NBA Jam duo on a current team? Give me Durant and Westbrook.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Bryant appears on latest Sports Illustrated cover.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Highlights only serve as a reminder of just how bad things were in Los Angeles.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Derrick Rose, not so much.
Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers
Aug 19, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Monroe will sign qualifying off with Pistons if no deal is in place by Oct. 1.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2