Kevin Love says he is the best power forward in the game

Jan 9, 2012, 5:12 PM EST

Kevin Love, Tim Duncan AP

Kevin Love is a pretty special player. A double-double machine who on offense has smooth moves around the rim to go with shooting range out to the three-point line. He’s as good a rebounder as there is in the game.

So mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the best power forward of them all? (If by all you mean active players. And today the roll of the mirror will be played by Kevin Love in an interview on ESPN 1500.)

I believe I’m the best ’4′ in the league. I think you have to believe that you’re the best. I think Mohammad Ali even said, ‘I was the greatest before I knew I was.’ I think everybody needs to have that mindset. That’s part of winning the mind game from the very start. You have to believe it. You have to hold yourself accountable.

He’s right, that should be his mindset. But is he the best? Not in my book.

Here’s my top five list for this season. And to keep it simple I’m going to put Kevin Durant and LeBron James at the three so we don’t count them. Veteran honorable mention go to Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan.

5. Blake Griffin (Clippers). He’s just scratching the surface of how good he can be, especially on defense, and he is starting to show it with a better midrange game to go with his high-flying dunks.

4. Pau Gasol (Lakers). Still the guy with best footwork and fundamentals around the basket, a deft passer, a solid midrange game and a better defender than he gets credit for. Plus, he has those rings.

3. Kevin Love (Timberwolves). Offensively he’s a force, but he needs to defend better to move up the list.

2. Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks). It’s almost unfair because he breaks the mold of a power forward, he is deadly from three but he can work from the post. The best pure shooter ever to play the position.

1. LaMarcus Aldridge. This season he has been the best when you consider leading your team at both ends of the floor — 22.7 points per game, 7.6 rebounds and a key part of the Blazers defense. On a Blazers team looking for guys to step up, he has.

1. cap1378 - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Can’t call yourself the best if you don’t have a ring.

• mytthor - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Who’s the best point guard in the game? Because if having rings is your criterion, it’s gotta be either Jason Kidd, Derek Fisher, Rajon Rondo, or Tony Parker. And if it’s based on the # of rings, that means it’s Fisher.

2. mannyfresh209 - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Aww my boy Boozer ain’t on the list?! He’s a 20/10 guy isn’t he?!

/sarcasm

3. cluelessdufus - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:00 AM

im a bulls fan and i don’t see boozer but kevin love is tied with laMarcus Aldridge he doesen’t put the same rebounds up but a much better defender i know a lot of people think the offense is what its base on but love needs to be a much better defender Aldridge is a great defender in the low post and face up thats why hes better everybody that votes for the all star teams stop basing it on points seriously it gets annoying thats why laMarcus Aldridge,Andrew Bynum,Josh Smith,tyson chandler should be in the all star game so please just look at the stats from both sides cause i know a lot of you just vote for the best players without looking at the stats so try looking at that please

4. isaiahforreal - Jan 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Kevin Love constantly plays lack-luster D he’s top 7(in no order) in my opinion.

5. aboogy123456 - Jan 10, 2012 at 8:13 AM

How come last season dirk wins the championship and is up for the MVP award and now ten games into the season everyone forgets??

1. dirk
    2. pau
    3. lamarcus
    4. kevin love
    5. Zach randolph

Blake griffin will be a lot higher in a year or so but right now he is mostly just a great athlete and doesn’t have the same talent as the other guys up there.

• xeno75 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I agree. I thought Dirk finally got some earned respect last year but I guess I was wrong. People are still talking the same old no defense crap as if he hadn’t improved from his rookie year.

6. bbrump - Jan 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

He said he needs to believe in himself being the best, not that he said he is the best.

The columnist distorted the meaning, but YOU don’t have to.

7. ettin009 - Jan 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Love is just saying you have to believe you are the best. “I think you have to believe that you’re the best.” Its just positive affirmation.

8. cap1378 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Mythor. Best pg in the game is Rose. He’ll have a ring soon. Dirk is best 4 in the game bc he carried his team to a championship unlike the others mentioned. Pao plays the 4 but he’s a true center.

9. cap1378 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Oh. And to answer your question. It’s rondo at the moment.

10. jimsjam33 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

ROFLAO ,

Helin are you just trying to justify your choice of Aldridge for the All-Star game ? Your statement that Aldridge needs to be on the team because ” Portland needs representation , ” is truly one of the all time boo boo’s you’ve ever written . Aldridge is good , but no All-Star !
    True power forwards : Kevin Love and Blake Griffin .
    Kevin Durant and Dirk Nowitzski are spin off proto type 3 -4′s .

11. loungefly74 - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

hmmm…so early into the season…but hey, what the heck. i love lists/polls…

dirk
    love
    pau
    griffin
    alridge

12. jowenshroyer - Jan 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM

wow some great power forwards, Aldridge is definitely one of the best, obviously have to consider Love and Dirk and Griffin as well…check for power rankings at http://www.dailygrindsports.com , read about Kobe this week http://dailygrindsports.com/2012/01/15/the-kobe-agenda/

13. uscthom78 - Jan 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM

pau not even the best gasol

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches