Jan 9, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
Deron Williams has noticed what the rest of us have known for nine games now — the Nets are terrible on offense.
Here is the quote, via the New York Post.
“The offense sucks,” he said. “It’s not very good right now. We’re not playing good. We’re not shooting good, I’m not shooting good, we’re turning the ball over. … When you play a team like [against] the Heat, when you turn the ball over, they’re going to convert, and they’re going to get up 20 points on you early.”
The Nets are 28th in the NBA in offensive efficiency at 93.7 points per 100 possessions. For comparison, the league average is 99.9. But hey, they are better than the Pistons and woeful Wizards, so there is a silver lining.
Williams is spot on, it starts with the fact the Nets as a team shoot just 38.1 percent — which is better than Williams, who is at 34.6 percent. This is where not having Brook Lopez hurts — he’s no Dwight Howard but he has a polished inside offensive game and shot 49.2 percent last year around the basket. The Nets miss getting easy buckets.
While shooting is the big issue, the Nets also turn the ball over on 14.6 percent of their possessions, which is ninth most in the league. They are not taking care of the ball well enough, either.
One other little thing — the Nets defense is also 28th in the league. It sucks, too.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30