Jan 9, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
Andray Blatche was just trying to help, trying to explain the reasons the Washington Wizards are 0-8 has nothing to do with coach Flip Saunders.
And in doing so, he backed over Saunders with the bus.
Here is the quote, via Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
“Flip is definitely doing his job,” Blatche said. “I just don’t feel like guys are listening and following behind what he says and what he wants us to do…
“Guys want to try to do it their own way, and it’s not working,” Blatche said. “The record shows that. I feel like everybody should go home and focus and think and take consideration for what Flip is saying, because it can’t hurt. It damn sure ain’t helping us our way.”
This pretty much sums it up. It’s not like Saunders forgot how to be a good coach, but for some reason he is not reaching this team. Maybe it is a young team that needs to wake up. Maybe they need some old-school veterans in the locker room to help show guys how to prepare physically and mentally for the grind of the NBA season. Maybe a lot of things. But whatever the reason, Saunders is not getting through to these guys.
As for Blatche, allow me to paraphrase Michael Jackson: “If you wanna make the Wizards a better place, take a look at yourself, and then make a change.”
Saunders was put in a tough spot, asked to play a young team and take the lumps. But if the team is not improving after some of those lumps, changes need to be made.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)