Jan 9, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Andray Blatche was just trying to help, trying to explain the reasons the Washington Wizards are 0-8 has nothing to do with coach Flip Saunders.
And in doing so, he backed over Saunders with the bus.
Here is the quote, via Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
“Flip is definitely doing his job,” Blatche said. “I just don’t feel like guys are listening and following behind what he says and what he wants us to do…
“Guys want to try to do it their own way, and it’s not working,” Blatche said. “The record shows that. I feel like everybody should go home and focus and think and take consideration for what Flip is saying, because it can’t hurt. It damn sure ain’t helping us our way.”
This pretty much sums it up. It’s not like Saunders forgot how to be a good coach, but for some reason he is not reaching this team. Maybe it is a young team that needs to wake up. Maybe they need some old-school veterans in the locker room to help show guys how to prepare physically and mentally for the grind of the NBA season. Maybe a lot of things. But whatever the reason, Saunders is not getting through to these guys.
As for Blatche, allow me to paraphrase Michael Jackson: “If you wanna make the Wizards a better place, take a look at yourself, and then make a change.”
Saunders was put in a tough spot, asked to play a young team and take the lumps. But if the team is not improving after some of those lumps, changes need to be made.
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 93
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit 83
- If Spurs win, Tony Parker should be the Finals MVP 24
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (94)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'