Jan 8, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
The timing is perfect. For the first time, the organization looks to be headed in the right direction. For the first time, he has a star next to him. For the first time, they have a coach who loves him. For the first time, the Wolves can capitalize on momentum, forget the mistakes of the past with Kevin Love, and lock him up for the future.
ESPN radio in Minneapolis reports:
One team source said he would be “shocked” if a maximum contract offer to Love isnt made by the 11 p.m. deadline on Jan. 25.
Love will take the offer, because that’s what you do coming off your rookie deal, and because for the first time, it’s fun to play in Minnesota. That’s what Ricky Rubio and Rick Adelman does.
There had been concerns the Wolves were taking too long, but for whatever reason, the report suggest they’re about to resolve those issues. David Kahn has gotten little credit for the transformation of the Wolves, but it was his call to draft Rubio, even if he did take Flynn as well. It was his call to draft Derrick Williams and not trade the pick. It was his call to not trade Love (though there have long been rumored tensions between the GM and Love). He’s built around Love and given him a coach he has a relationship with.
The Wolves are still bad, but they’re improving. And David Kahn deserves as much credit for that as he deserved the scorn of the past three years.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10