Jan 8, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
The timing is perfect. For the first time, the organization looks to be headed in the right direction. For the first time, he has a star next to him. For the first time, they have a coach who loves him. For the first time, the Wolves can capitalize on momentum, forget the mistakes of the past with Kevin Love, and lock him up for the future.
ESPN radio in Minneapolis reports:
One team source said he would be “shocked” if a maximum contract offer to Love isnt made by the 11 p.m. deadline on Jan. 25.
Love will take the offer, because that’s what you do coming off your rookie deal, and because for the first time, it’s fun to play in Minnesota. That’s what Ricky Rubio and Rick Adelman does.
There had been concerns the Wolves were taking too long, but for whatever reason, the report suggest they’re about to resolve those issues. David Kahn has gotten little credit for the transformation of the Wolves, but it was his call to draft Rubio, even if he did take Flynn as well. It was his call to draft Derrick Williams and not trade the pick. It was his call to not trade Love (though there have long been rumored tensions between the GM and Love). He’s built around Love and given him a coach he has a relationship with.
The Wolves are still bad, but they’re improving. And David Kahn deserves as much credit for that as he deserved the scorn of the past three years.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47