Jerry Sloan hints he may return to coaching

Jan 8, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Jerry Sloan is a legend. After so many years in the NBA, at some point you’re in it so long, it’s impossible to walk away. And it would appear that after a year of being away from the game, Sloan is re-engaged and ready to get back on the horse. From SI.com:

So as the 69-year-old answers questions about whether he might leave retirement behind and return to the job that he loved for nearly three decades, you get the sense he’s resisting the urge to make some formal announcement of his desires.

“I think if the right situation came along, whatever that is,” he said before pausing to ponder. “I don’t know what the right situation is. We’ll have to wait and see, I guess.”

via Hall-of-Fame NBA coach Jerry Sloan changes tune about returning to sideline – Sam Amick – SI.com.

Sloan sounds pretty sure he’s going to be coaching again. And he shouldn’t have a hard time getting a gig. Sloan has experience and a proven track record. He may struggle with identifying with players but there’s no doubt he can command a locker room.

But how weird is it going to be seeing him on another sideline? How weird would it be when he returns to Salt Lake City? You also have to way market factors. Sloan doesn’t really seem like a “coach a big market team” kind of guy. There will be options, but it needs to be the right fit. But we’ll be lucky to get a few more years of coaching out of Sloan. Any time you get to watch a legend do his thing, that’s a treat.

1. willardj - Jan 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I’m sure the Knicks will be on this right away.

• makjak2 - Jan 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I would love to see Jerry take Richard’s job

• davidly - Jan 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Good one!-D

2. pudgalvin - Jan 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I know they’ve got a coach who’s doing a pretty good job, but Minnesota would be the perfect fit for Sloan. Rubio and Love could be similar to a duo he used to coach.

• dondada10 - Jan 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Ricky Rubio : John Stockton :: Kris Humphries : Bill Russell

3. glink123 - Jan 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM

“You also have to way market factors.”
    *weigh.

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Nets?

• pudgalvin - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Yeah, cause it worked out well with D Will the first go around.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Sense of humor?

• pudgalvin - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Dammit. Curse you internet sarcasm.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

If you ever see anything I post, I’m either being a wise-ass, or I’m defending the Heat, or both. And yes, I’m a grown man in my mid 40s with a job and a family.

5. eyeamlegend - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Jerry, please come to Sacramento.

6. silverbuffalo - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

How about a HS team where he can demand respect – that is no longer the NBA

7. thatboi901 - Jan 9, 2012 at 3:48 AM

A lot of coaches just got on the hot seat..

8. virusgvr - Jan 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Maybe he will decide to walk away from his next team like he did the Jazz pretty much over night. It comes a point when you have to say to yourself and everyone am I reliable…. Pulling the plug on a team like he did, proves that point.

9. silverbuffalo - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Lakers to keep Kobe in his place

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches