Jan 8, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:26 pm: The Thunder have announced that Eric Maynor is out for the season with a torn anterior cruciate that will require surgery. After watching the video below, that should not seem like a huge shock. It was nasty.
This is a blow to the Thunder. Sure, Russell Westbrook is young and can play a few more minutes a night at the PG, but even he eventually will wear down. The Thunder made a big push in the draft to get Reggie Jackson out of Boston College — they made an early promise and he stopped working out for other teams — and now he is going to be put to the test. He’s played 14 minutes all season, but they are going to need him to step up and be solid every night now.
12:30 pm: The Thunder are one of the best teams in the West for a reason. It’s not just their superstar power with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, or their supporting players like James Harden and Kendrick Perkins. It’s their depth, which is considerable. And that took a hit last night when Eric Maynor went down with what looked like a serious knee injury.
Maynor was a steal for OKC when they traded for him from the Jazz last year, and had a huge impact in the playoffs. No details on his injury are available yet, but if he misses time, the Thunder should be alright because Russell Westbrook can just play like 800 minutes a week and not be bothered. Such is the gift of youth. But they’ll miss Maynor’s balance however long he’s out. We’ll keep you updated.
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 4
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 18
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 20
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 8
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 16
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 49