Jan 7, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
From the Memphis Commercial-Appeal:
Grizzlies rookie guard Josh Selby is facing a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge after police found probable cause during an Oct. 5 incident at the University of Maryland.
The 20-year-old Selby has been summoned to appear in a Maryland district court Jan. 25.
“I have no comment about it,” Selby said. “It is what it is.”
Hard to know what to say about this. It’s not uncommon for NBA players, and by NBA players, I mean Americans, to get tagged with a pot charge. It’s not indicative of a larger problem in many cases, and there were no connections to violence in the incident. Selby plummeted from the first round despite his handlers being very heavy in the pro circles and having considerable talent over what was regarded as maturity issues. Things like this only further cement that consideration, but there haven’t been any reported issues in terms of in practice or in the locker room with the Grizzlies.
It’s never a good thing, but it’s hard to find reasons why this should be something of concern for Memphis in the long run. But given his background regarding where he was drafted and why, it’s something to consider for the whole picture.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20