Jan 7, 2012, 6:12 PM EST
From the Memphis Commercial-Appeal:
Grizzlies rookie guard Josh Selby is facing a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge after police found probable cause during an Oct. 5 incident at the University of Maryland.
The 20-year-old Selby has been summoned to appear in a Maryland district court Jan. 25.
“I have no comment about it,” Selby said. “It is what it is.”
Hard to know what to say about this. It’s not uncommon for NBA players, and by NBA players, I mean Americans, to get tagged with a pot charge. It’s not indicative of a larger problem in many cases, and there were no connections to violence in the incident. Selby plummeted from the first round despite his handlers being very heavy in the pro circles and having considerable talent over what was regarded as maturity issues. Things like this only further cement that consideration, but there haven’t been any reported issues in terms of in practice or in the locker room with the Grizzlies.
It’s never a good thing, but it’s hard to find reasons why this should be something of concern for Memphis in the long run. But given his background regarding where he was drafted and why, it’s something to consider for the whole picture.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 31
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10