Jan 7, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
From the Memphis Commercial-Appeal:
Grizzlies rookie guard Josh Selby is facing a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge after police found probable cause during an Oct. 5 incident at the University of Maryland.
The 20-year-old Selby has been summoned to appear in a Maryland district court Jan. 25.
“I have no comment about it,” Selby said. “It is what it is.”
Hard to know what to say about this. It’s not uncommon for NBA players, and by NBA players, I mean Americans, to get tagged with a pot charge. It’s not indicative of a larger problem in many cases, and there were no connections to violence in the incident. Selby plummeted from the first round despite his handlers being very heavy in the pro circles and having considerable talent over what was regarded as maturity issues. Things like this only further cement that consideration, but there haven’t been any reported issues in terms of in practice or in the locker room with the Grizzlies.
It’s never a good thing, but it’s hard to find reasons why this should be something of concern for Memphis in the long run. But given his background regarding where he was drafted and why, it’s something to consider for the whole picture.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record