Jan 6, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Something needs to happen in Washington to turn the Wizards around.
“We needed to address ourselves and identify what were some of the problems that the players can fix,” Evans said. “A lot of people are focusing on the coaching staff and management, but the players have to take some onus as well, and we have to look internally and find out who our leaders are.”
“We are just trying to be more accountable,” Andray Blatche said. “Everything that was said in there needed to be said and needed to be done.”
The Wizards have the worst offense in the NBA so far, averaging a horrific 89.5 points per 100 possessions (for some context, the league median is 100.9 this season and the league worst last season was the Timberwolves at 99). As a team they are shooting just 39.2 percent on the season and 26.3 percent from three. They are not sharing the ball, with the second worst assist rate in the league (which frustrates Wall). They are playing at a pace that is pretty much middle of the pack in the league. Their defense isn’t good and they are giving up 15 more points per 100 possessions than they are scoring.
Which shouldn’t be happening on a team with John Wall at the point plus talented players like JaVale McGee, Nick Young, Blatche and promising rookie Chris Singleton. This is a team that should be playing fast, putting up highlight plays nightly and being a tough out.
Yes, coach Flip Saunders was given the mandate to play the young players, but this team is not showing any of the growth it should. A lot of things need to change in Washington. Maybe a players meeting is a good place to start.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 32