Jan 6, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
The value of player-only meetings gets wildly overstated in the NBA. But there can be value if there is honesty and accountability taking place.
After the Kings beat the Bucks on Thursday night several players referenced a meeting called by veteran Chuck Hayes after the Kings had lost a couple nights earlier to Denver.
While the Paul Westphal firing was playing out on the big stage, it was Hayes and some film study that may have made the biggest difference, several players told the Sacramento Bee.
At the meeting, said DeMarcus Cousins, players “had our heart-to-hearts, we all discussed what we need to do better, we all held each other accountable. Chuck, he got on the bigs. I got on the bigs. (Francisco Garcia) got on the guards.
“It showed tonight,” Cousins said. “We went over film and showed our mistakes, just rotations and how in the offense we catch (the ball) and just stop. So we went over a lot and we got a good thing out of it.”
The Kings did have their best effort of the young season in the second half Thursday, coming from 21 down to get the win. Of course, now that leader in Hayes will be out for a month, which is not the kind of thing a team meeting can make up for.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 18
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 13
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record