Jan 6, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
That phrase took off instantly with Clippers faithful — at games you see homemade “lob city” T-shirts. For fans the phrase has become the team’s on the court identity as the Clips gets a lot of highlights out of lobs and dunks. It is this team’s nickname.
Clipper players don’t like it.
Griffin said he wishes he hadn’t said it, Clipper players never refer to the team that way, and Paul would prefer if you didn’t call them that, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unfortunate,” Griffin said. “It’s one of those things where we understand it, but that’s not what we’re about. Before the game we’re not going out thinking, ‘All right, its Lob City tonight.’ We’re just trying to win games and trying to get better.”
“It’s something we can’t control,” Paul said. “We are a complete team, and we want to continue to be a complete team. That’s the only way we’re going to win games. It doesn’t matter if you get 10 lobs and lose the game. It’s all about winning at the end of the day.”
Well, if you don’t like a nickname it’s more likely to stick, so, sorry guys.
The Clippers are on their way to becoming a complete team — they are not there yet. Their defense has improved the past couple games but they need to do that over a stretch of time and then they ultimately need to do it in the playoffs.
Win some playoff games and you can add other titles to the list, maybe even “best team in Los Angeles.” But even then, for some this will always be “lob city.”
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 2
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 6
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 13
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 4
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3