Jan 6, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
That phrase took off instantly with Clippers faithful — at games you see homemade “lob city” T-shirts. For fans the phrase has become the team’s on the court identity as the Clips gets a lot of highlights out of lobs and dunks. It is this team’s nickname.
Clipper players don’t like it.
Griffin said he wishes he hadn’t said it, Clipper players never refer to the team that way, and Paul would prefer if you didn’t call them that, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unfortunate,” Griffin said. “It’s one of those things where we understand it, but that’s not what we’re about. Before the game we’re not going out thinking, ‘All right, its Lob City tonight.’ We’re just trying to win games and trying to get better.”
“It’s something we can’t control,” Paul said. “We are a complete team, and we want to continue to be a complete team. That’s the only way we’re going to win games. It doesn’t matter if you get 10 lobs and lose the game. It’s all about winning at the end of the day.”
Well, if you don’t like a nickname it’s more likely to stick, so, sorry guys.
The Clippers are on their way to becoming a complete team — they are not there yet. Their defense has improved the past couple games but they need to do that over a stretch of time and then they ultimately need to do it in the playoffs.
Win some playoff games and you can add other titles to the list, maybe even “best team in Los Angeles.” But even then, for some this will always be “lob city.”
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 15
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23