Jan 6, 2012, 10:14 AM EST
That phrase took off instantly with Clippers faithful — at games you see homemade “lob city” T-shirts. For fans the phrase has become the team’s on the court identity as the Clips gets a lot of highlights out of lobs and dunks. It is this team’s nickname.
Clipper players don’t like it.
Griffin said he wishes he hadn’t said it, Clipper players never refer to the team that way, and Paul would prefer if you didn’t call them that, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unfortunate,” Griffin said. “It’s one of those things where we understand it, but that’s not what we’re about. Before the game we’re not going out thinking, ‘All right, its Lob City tonight.’ We’re just trying to win games and trying to get better.”
“It’s something we can’t control,” Paul said. “We are a complete team, and we want to continue to be a complete team. That’s the only way we’re going to win games. It doesn’t matter if you get 10 lobs and lose the game. It’s all about winning at the end of the day.”
Well, if you don’t like a nickname it’s more likely to stick, so, sorry guys.
The Clippers are on their way to becoming a complete team — they are not there yet. Their defense has improved the past couple games but they need to do that over a stretch of time and then they ultimately need to do it in the playoffs.
Win some playoff games and you can add other titles to the list, maybe even “best team in Los Angeles.” But even then, for some this will always be “lob city.”
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (39)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)