Jan 6, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
That phrase took off instantly with Clippers faithful — at games you see homemade “lob city” T-shirts. For fans the phrase has become the team’s on the court identity as the Clips gets a lot of highlights out of lobs and dunks. It is this team’s nickname.
Clipper players don’t like it.
Griffin said he wishes he hadn’t said it, Clipper players never refer to the team that way, and Paul would prefer if you didn’t call them that, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unfortunate,” Griffin said. “It’s one of those things where we understand it, but that’s not what we’re about. Before the game we’re not going out thinking, ‘All right, its Lob City tonight.’ We’re just trying to win games and trying to get better.”
“It’s something we can’t control,” Paul said. “We are a complete team, and we want to continue to be a complete team. That’s the only way we’re going to win games. It doesn’t matter if you get 10 lobs and lose the game. It’s all about winning at the end of the day.”
Well, if you don’t like a nickname it’s more likely to stick, so, sorry guys.
The Clippers are on their way to becoming a complete team — they are not there yet. Their defense has improved the past couple games but they need to do that over a stretch of time and then they ultimately need to do it in the playoffs.
Win some playoff games and you can add other titles to the list, maybe even “best team in Los Angeles.” But even then, for some this will always be “lob city.”
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 0
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 16
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 58
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5