Jan 6, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
That phrase took off instantly with Clippers faithful — at games you see homemade “lob city” T-shirts. For fans the phrase has become the team’s on the court identity as the Clips gets a lot of highlights out of lobs and dunks. It is this team’s nickname.
Clipper players don’t like it.
Griffin said he wishes he hadn’t said it, Clipper players never refer to the team that way, and Paul would prefer if you didn’t call them that, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“It’s unfortunate,” Griffin said. “It’s one of those things where we understand it, but that’s not what we’re about. Before the game we’re not going out thinking, ‘All right, its Lob City tonight.’ We’re just trying to win games and trying to get better.”
“It’s something we can’t control,” Paul said. “We are a complete team, and we want to continue to be a complete team. That’s the only way we’re going to win games. It doesn’t matter if you get 10 lobs and lose the game. It’s all about winning at the end of the day.”
Well, if you don’t like a nickname it’s more likely to stick, so, sorry guys.
The Clippers are on their way to becoming a complete team — they are not there yet. Their defense has improved the past couple games but they need to do that over a stretch of time and then they ultimately need to do it in the playoffs.
Win some playoff games and you can add other titles to the list, maybe even “best team in Los Angeles.” But even then, for some this will always be “lob city.”
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13