Jan 5, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
For those of us watching at home, when Stephen Curry sprained his ankle on Wednesday night it looked like the two other times he did it in the last three weeks. Or all the times he did it last season when the issue lingered.
But it didn’t feel that way to Curry.
He was far more dejected about this one than previous situations, reports Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com.
Quite frankly, he was despondent. When he finally did speak, his words were little more than a whisper and it was clear he didn’t want to spend a lot of time talking about what had just occurred or what lay ahead.
“This is the worst it’s been,” Curry said about the pain. “I’m sure it has to do with the fact it’s the third time. It’s hard to say how it will react. … But it’s just Déjà vu again for me.”
Curry almost certainly will not play Friday against the Lakers and it would not be shocking to see him to be out for a couple weeks. This is an ankle he had surgery on this summer to tighten the ligaments, it needs time to really heal.
That may not be the answer, as Steinmentz notes he has had long rests before, like this summer, only to roll it soon after he returns.
The Warriors cannot think about the short term, about this season. Curry is potentially an anchor for a decade, a fan favorite — they need to think long term and solve this. Whatever it takes, however long it takes. A win against Utah Saturday is not what matters right now.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 0
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 1
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 26
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4