Jan 5, 2012, 4:06 PM EST
For those of us watching at home, when Stephen Curry sprained his ankle on Wednesday night it looked like the two other times he did it in the last three weeks. Or all the times he did it last season when the issue lingered.
But it didn’t feel that way to Curry.
He was far more dejected about this one than previous situations, reports Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com.
Quite frankly, he was despondent. When he finally did speak, his words were little more than a whisper and it was clear he didn’t want to spend a lot of time talking about what had just occurred or what lay ahead.
“This is the worst it’s been,” Curry said about the pain. “I’m sure it has to do with the fact it’s the third time. It’s hard to say how it will react. … But it’s just Déjà vu again for me.”
Curry almost certainly will not play Friday against the Lakers and it would not be shocking to see him to be out for a couple weeks. This is an ankle he had surgery on this summer to tighten the ligaments, it needs time to really heal.
That may not be the answer, as Steinmentz notes he has had long rests before, like this summer, only to roll it soon after he returns.
The Warriors cannot think about the short term, about this season. Curry is potentially an anchor for a decade, a fan favorite — they need to think long term and solve this. Whatever it takes, however long it takes. A win against Utah Saturday is not what matters right now.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6