Jan 5, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Dwight Howard gave the Magic a list of places where he would sign an extension (New Jersey, Dallas, the Los Angeles Lakers). The Magic said they would listen to offers from teams willing to “rent” Howard for this season without the guarantee he would opt in for another year at least (as Chris Paul did) or sign outright with them to stay.
The Golden State Warriors have been one of the most aggressive of those looking to rent, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
For the Magic to become intrigued with package, two things would likely have to appeal to them: rebuilding around young point guard Stephen Curry; and the Warriors’ salary-cap space to absorb the three years and $34 million left on Hedo Turkoglu’s contract. The possibility of the pursuit could be complicated by questions about the sturdiness of Curry’s surgically repaired right ankle.
There also would be future draft picks thrown in. How much more would Golden State be willing to put in the pot just to rent Howard? Probably not much, but this is a new ownership group. That said, it’s kind of hard to picture Dwight Howard in a City uniform.
As we stand right now, the Magic are still not willing to move Howard, so all this discussion is hypothetical now until minds change in Orlando.
But is what Golden State offers really the best package for Orlando? There is the New Jersey package that brings in Brook Lopez and picks (and gets rid of the Turkoglu deal. The Lakers reportedly were willing to offer Andrew Bynum (but not Pau Gasol, too). Both of those packages may be better to build on that Curry and picks.
Plus, if and when the Magic get serious, 26 other teams will make offers, too. The Magic will have plenty to consider.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18