Jan 5, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Dwight Howard gave the Magic a list of places where he would sign an extension (New Jersey, Dallas, the Los Angeles Lakers). The Magic said they would listen to offers from teams willing to “rent” Howard for this season without the guarantee he would opt in for another year at least (as Chris Paul did) or sign outright with them to stay.
The Golden State Warriors have been one of the most aggressive of those looking to rent, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
For the Magic to become intrigued with package, two things would likely have to appeal to them: rebuilding around young point guard Stephen Curry; and the Warriors’ salary-cap space to absorb the three years and $34 million left on Hedo Turkoglu’s contract. The possibility of the pursuit could be complicated by questions about the sturdiness of Curry’s surgically repaired right ankle.
There also would be future draft picks thrown in. How much more would Golden State be willing to put in the pot just to rent Howard? Probably not much, but this is a new ownership group. That said, it’s kind of hard to picture Dwight Howard in a City uniform.
As we stand right now, the Magic are still not willing to move Howard, so all this discussion is hypothetical now until minds change in Orlando.
But is what Golden State offers really the best package for Orlando? There is the New Jersey package that brings in Brook Lopez and picks (and gets rid of the Turkoglu deal. The Lakers reportedly were willing to offer Andrew Bynum (but not Pau Gasol, too). Both of those packages may be better to build on that Curry and picks.
Plus, if and when the Magic get serious, 26 other teams will make offers, too. The Magic will have plenty to consider.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights