Jan 5, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
The chant rained down on Madison Square Garden Wednesday night as Knicks fans are frustrated with their point guard play. Toney Douglas is the starter but he is a score-first guy who does not fit with Mike D’Antoni’s system. Landry Fields is at the two but he has struggled this season and is shooting 21.1 percent from three. Baron Davis is injured and Mike Bibby is Mike Bibby.
Iman Shumpert is the hope, the fan favorite, if for no other reason than he is the only guy untarnished (and he had 18 points on Wednesday in his first game back from injury).
D’Antoni says Shumpert could start at either guard position but added that no decision has been made yet
Whether it is Shumpert or Baron Davis or anyone else, two things need to happen for the Knicks at the guard spot. One, if they are going to play D’Antoni’s system, they need to push the pace actually run more. They have the 11th fastest pace in the league this season, they are slowing down.
Second, and more importantly, they have to play defense. It is that end of the floor where the Knicks remain a real disaster.
Right now, without a true point guard, the Knicks remain a roster that fits poorly with the style of the coach. Shumpert alone is not going to solve the Knicks problems.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29