Jan 5, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
The chant rained down on Madison Square Garden Wednesday night as Knicks fans are frustrated with their point guard play. Toney Douglas is the starter but he is a score-first guy who does not fit with Mike D’Antoni’s system. Landry Fields is at the two but he has struggled this season and is shooting 21.1 percent from three. Baron Davis is injured and Mike Bibby is Mike Bibby.
Iman Shumpert is the hope, the fan favorite, if for no other reason than he is the only guy untarnished (and he had 18 points on Wednesday in his first game back from injury).
D’Antoni says Shumpert could start at either guard position but added that no decision has been made yet
Whether it is Shumpert or Baron Davis or anyone else, two things need to happen for the Knicks at the guard spot. One, if they are going to play D’Antoni’s system, they need to push the pace actually run more. They have the 11th fastest pace in the league this season, they are slowing down.
Second, and more importantly, they have to play defense. It is that end of the floor where the Knicks remain a real disaster.
Right now, without a true point guard, the Knicks remain a roster that fits poorly with the style of the coach. Shumpert alone is not going to solve the Knicks problems.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record