Jan 5, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
Keith Smart had an impossible situation in Golden State when he became head coach. Not long after he was hired the team was sold to new owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber whose mandate was to change the culture of a franchise that had been to the playoffs once in 17 years. Smart coached the Warriors to 36 wins — about what should be expected of the roster he was given — but he had no chance, he was swept up in the tide of change and washed out to sea.
Now, he’s taking over as head coach mid-season for a Sacramento squad where the team looks lost on the court, the old head coach feuded with the young star center, and the entire franchise is in danger of packing up and moving out of the city all together.
Yes, that’s much more stable.
But the Kings are at least giving him a chance, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (via twitter).
Keith Smart has agreed to a two-year with the Sacramento Kings, source tells Y! Sports. His deal is guaranteed through 2012-’13 season.
He’s at least being given a chance. That’s all he can ask.
But he’s got a full plate to clean up after Paul Westphal. The Kings run a simplistic (read: easy to defend) offense that had little off the ball movement and relied on Tyreke Evans in the pick-and-roll and DeMarcus Cousins in the post. Smart needs to get the Kings and their young athletes out and running more, plus he needs to diversify and add some movement to the half court offense.
He has to get them to play much better defense.
And having a better relationship with Cousins wouldn’t hurt, either.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40