Frustrated John Wall, Wizards lash out after another loss

Jan 5, 2012, 9:09 AM EST

Nick Young, John Wall, JaVale McGee AP

The Washington Wizards are 0-6, and that really doesn’t do justice to how poorly they have played.

After another loss Wednesday night — a game that started with a 12-0 Orlando run, that started with Washington going 0-12 shooting, and never got much better — John Wall let his frustrations out, speaking with Michael Lee of the Washington Post.

“It’s like everybody blanks out, “John said… “Everybody going for their own. And we don’t have anybody on our team that can just go get his own bucket whenever. You see everybody being selfish on the offensive end and on the defensive end, we’re not trusting each other … If we don’t find a way to play together and win games, it could get ugly this whole season.”

Actually, Wall should be able to get his own bucket whenever. Especially in transition, if the Wizards would run more. But he’s right about everything else — the Wizards end up working hard for every shot and get no easy buckets because they do not work as a team. There is little ball movement and there seems to be a lot of isolations (which is not what coach Flip Saunders is drawing up). That is why they are shooting just 39.2 percent as a team and why they are dead last in the league in offensive efficiency.

Wall is not the only one saying it. Here are other quotes from the same article.

“Right now, we playing as individuals and we got to change it ASAP,” Jordan Crawford said.

“Nobody came to compete. To me, we didn’t even come out playing hard,” Rashard Lewis said in his embarrassing return to Orlando. “I know that Orlando Magic team. And to me, they played pretty well, but they didn’t play nearly as hard as they should have. The game was easy for them tonight. We went through the motions and nobody competed….

“The way [the Magic] played tonight as a team, that’s what we’ve got to get to,” Lewis said. “We got to watch teams like them. Teams like the Boston Celtics, setting screens for each other, getting easy looks, doing the little things to win ball games. It’s not all about stats, individual play, trying to make a name for yourself in this league. I think when you play together and you win ball games everybody gets noticed. You’ve got to get individual out of the way with this team.”

1. silk32 - Jan 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Let’s look at Wall’s wish list for teammates:

(i) Get their own buckets
    (ii) Not selfish on offense
    (iii) Play team defense

How many people on his team proved they could do those things prior to actually joining the Wizards, including Wall? Welcome to the NBA John Wall. You died to be there now be quiet. Look on the bright side, there’s always an after party you can attend.

• makjak2 - Jan 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

just curious, why do people dislike Wall so much?

• rooney24 - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM

He comes off like a prima donna, and isn’t living up to the hype

• verytalldad - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM

BC he complains nobody can make a shot, yet HE has not developed a shot. Be a leader Wall, not a complainer.

This team is rotten, but according to the owner is a CORE of the future. Make Blatche the captain, it worked for Santonio Holmes on the Jets. Character guys!!!

• bparmalee - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I dont like Wall because I dont think his attitude is a good match with the position he plays. He seems very self centered.. even in college and I see him pass up open teammates to go for 3 on 1 contested lay-up attempts. I mean they look great on Espn when they go but the prob is they mostly dont. He had a good rookie season but I still just cant see him being a great PG.

2. glink123 - Jan 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

good article. I agree that Wall should be able to get his shot anytime he wants. kinda noteworthy that every player on that team is admitting they aren’t playing hard. this is a team that hates their coach, for whatever reason.

3. verytalldad - Jan 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I guess they aren’t buying into Leonsis BS patience plan either. Wait five years guys it’ll be great according to Leonsis.

4. acdc363 - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Well john wall was my 2nd overall pick in fantasy. Him and DJ Augustin are my only 2 PG’s on a 13 man roster. I don’t need crap like this right now John the season just started!

5. pl4tinum514 - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

That teams’ been a joke for a while now… Flip just makes sure it stays that way

6. virusgvr - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

This team is for sure the 2009 New Jersey nets. Just wait until April and your going to see all the similarities of these 2 teams.

7. glink123 - Jan 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I wouldn’t say people hate Wall. I just think he received too much hype without having earned it by accomplishing anything. Personally, I’ve always hated the dumb arm twist thing he does. Develop a game before you develop a trademark, ya know? Pay attention to DRose. That’s how you lead. And that’s also how you get PAID.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Flip Saunders has mailed it in moreso than DeNiro mailed it in his last 5 movies.

9. stayhigh_247 - Jan 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

this should be Lob City East, because as fast as Wall is and the athletic beasting ability of Young not to mention McGees talaents, this is sad. But the plan and simple truth is Flip Saunders cant coach, he had KG all those years to cover up his deficiencies!

10. lakerluver - Jan 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Usually in a situation such as this I would blame the coach. But I think Flip’s a pretty good coach stuck with a terrible team. John Wall needs to quit crying and play better. Then maybe his teammates will follow his lead.

11. garyrocktown - Jan 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Sounds like the Sacramento Kings of the East to me, Paul Westphal is available and maybe we could swap Cousins for Wall?

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches