Jan 4, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:52 pm: This trade became official, according to the Commercial Appeal.
UPDATE 11:17 am: This has grown into a three-team trade involving the New Orleans Hornets that is “on course” to come to fruition Wednesday, reports Marc Stein at ESPN. Here is his tweet breaking it down.
Trade, on course to be completed Wednesday, would send Speights to Grizz, Xavier Henry to Hornets and furnish Philly with two future picks
I like that for the Hornets, getting Henry who has potential. Picks for the rebuilding Sixers is good (how good depends on the picks). Memphis gets its big man, and I still wonder if they need him more now than they did 48 hours ago.
10:27 am: The Memphis Grizzlies and Philadelphia 76ers have had on-and-off again talks about Marresse Speights for months, but those talks got serious again on Tuesday, according to the Commercial Appeal.
Which makes me wonder if Zach Randolph’s injury is more serious than the Grizzlies have let on.
Memphis has looked at the athletic but raw Speights as a potential backup for Marc Gasol pretty much since the lockout ended, but it’s been on-and-off more than a television sitcom romance. Apparently it is back on.
Which only makes me wonder if the Grizzlies now really think they need that depth up front. Randolph’s knee injury looked bad when teammate O.J. Mayo fell into it, but team doctors described it as just a bruised ligament.
But Randolph had an MRI on Tuesday and the team did not release the results, reports the Commercial Appeal. That raises eyebrows. It may be nothing, but it’s just a couple things together at once that make me wonder if something bigger is not at play here.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record