Jan 4, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT
There have been questions about the Celtics this season, and there will continue to be up and into the playoffs.
But not about Ray Allen. At age 36 he is averaging 20 points per game, shooting 61.1 percent from three and 56.5 percent overall (up from a still good 49.1 percent last year). It’s only six games, but his PER is higher than it has ever been in his career.
This year is the second and last year of Allen’s extension with the Celtics, and he tells Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida he’d like to stay a Celtic for a little while.
Allen will be a free agent next summer. When asked if he wants to re-sign with the Celtics, he offered a quick, “Yeah.” Does he think he can get another multi-year deal from them at 37?
“Yeah,” said Allen, in the second-year of a two-year, $20 million contract. “That’s what I want.”
He’s playing well, teams will be lined up for a shot at him. But will that be Boston? They also have Kevin Garnett’s deal up and the Celtics need to decide whether to bring them back and make another run or get on with the business of rebuilding. Which option may well depend on how Boston does in the playoffs.
But whatever Boston decides Ray Allen will have plenty of people lined up for his services. Likely including a few contenders.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4