NBA releases All-Star ballot, here are my early votes

Jan 4, 2012, 4:12 PM EDT

All-star-nba-logo0103_rdax

You can vote — and not just if you’re a Republican in Iowa.

The NBA opened All-Star Game voting to the fans on Wednesday, so you can pick who will not play any defense in Orlando Feb. 26. Fan voting picks the starters, the coaches for the teams help pick the rest of the squad. You can vote on NBA.com, from your phone or at NBA games.

The list of players is pretty good this year, no glaring oversights. Sorry Heat fans, leaving Mario Chalmers out of the East guard debate is not a serious oversight.

So who to pick? It’s way too early to cast an official ballot, but if I had to right now…

Eastern Conference

Guards: Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade. Deron Williams, Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo just miss but should make the team, and throw in Joe Johnson if you really want to. But think about it.

Forwards: LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony. I really wanted to make a case for Andre Iguodala, who is playing very well, but ‘Melo has been better. James has been James, he is still the best player walking the planet. If Orlando’s Ryan Anderson keeps playing like this, I want him to make the squad. Amare Stoudemire and Chris Bosh are acceptable here, too.

Center: Dwight Howard. Howard announced as the center in Orlando at the All-Star Game either in a Nets uniform or with trade rumors swirling around him will be the story of that weekend, regardless of what happens. Second best may be Spencer Hawes in Philly, who is playing better than you think. I could live with JaVale McGee.

Western Conference

Guards: Kyle Lowry, Kobe Bryant. We’ll see if he sticks with these numbers, but Lowry has been amazing this season — 15 points and 11 assists per game for the Rockets. Go ahead and vote for Chris Paul if you want, I can live with that. I like Ricky Rubio and Steve Nash, but no. And I voted for Kobe because he might find me and beat me up if I didn’t. Same applies to you.

Forwards: Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge. First, Tim Duncan is still not a forward. Just have to say that every year. This is tough because if you want to vote for Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, Blake Griffin, Rudy Gay, Dirk Nowitzki or a host of others I’m good with that. All deserving. I picked Aldridge because Portland needs the representation, they have been a great surprise this season. You could make an All-Star team of Western Conference forwards that would compete with the rest of the league combined. And they could play Tim Duncan at center.

Center: Andrew Bynum. I could live with Nene here, but Bynum has been a beast so far. For fun I might just start a campaign to get DeMarcus Cousins named to the team, just so another coach has to deal with his ego for a while.

1. cakemixa - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM

If only Kurt could vote for Lebron for every position. Maybe the entire Heat team could just represent the Eastern conference?

• mrsdestinydevine - Jan 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

You can hate all you want, but Lebron is a Beast!!! Period, he’s definetly getting my vote.

• southbeachtalent - Jan 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I have come to the realization that NBA fans are the dumbest fans in the planet. Anyone that argues that LeBron is not the best player in the game right now is plain ignorant.

Carry on..

• jhastrello - Jan 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

All the way up to the 4th Quarter during the Championship games, that is.

2. b7p19 - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I like how the Sixers actually get some positive pub at PBT. Good on you, Kurt!

3. royistheboy - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM

C’mon Kurt, Ryan Anderson? He’s a product of playing with D12, at least for right now. He’s good but there’s no room for him on the All-Star team, not even in the East…. Can I get a BJ Mullens?

4. raidmagic - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

How is Williams on that list for east guards? He’s been horrible so far

5. nbascreed - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Kurt! I <3 you! I've been singing the same refrain for the last 10 years…"Tim Duncan is a center." I could care less what Pop puts on the lineup card. The man is 7'1" 275 lbs and other than his 15 foot bank shot there is nothing at all about his game that said power forward. Nothing incenses me more than to hear Charlie Barkley call him "the best power forward in the game." Just because he played his earlier years with another center doesn't mean he was a 4. It's quite possible that the Spurs started two centers.

thenbascreed.blogspot.com

6. tampajoey - Jan 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Hey Kurt, does your wife have a Lebron James tattoo on her lower back to help you reach ultimate satisfaction?

• goforthanddie - Jan 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Stooge stamp :D

7. fmlizard - Jan 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Will this be the year that 25 and 15 (K-Love) doesn’t even get a starting slot at the ASG? Not only should Love start based on his production to date, you could make a not-crazy case for him as MVP.

Aldridge is measurably worse 22 and 7 and his PER (19) is 10 whole points lower than Love’s. With the strength of that position in the West, he shouldn’t even make the team as of now.

• nbascreed - Jan 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I like to give Love a little bit more time to see if there is a reversion to the mean. However, if this numbers represent his new mean then by all means (sorry) he should be a starter and at the very least considered for MVP. Based on last year though (and b/c of the small sample this year) I tend to give Aldridge and Z-Bo the nod simply because they had numbers and led teams into the playoffs. Even if he does revert back to more earthly numbers K-Love has still got to get the Wolves to the playoffs. No more of this rebuidling or next year stuff.

thenbascreed.blogspot.com

8. goforthanddie - Jan 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Wow, they should be embarrassed to even have an All-Star game this year. And voting already? Sad.

9. david407 - Jan 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Kurt wtf. Why does everyone hate on Monta Ellis? He’s a top three shooting guard in the league and can’t even get an honorable mention from your ass

10. ctguns - Jan 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

No Ty Lawson????? Gtfoh

11. jimothyvonstojavic - Jan 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I love the Kobe comment. 100% true.

12. loungefly74 - Jan 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

good picks…

13. stayhigh_247 - Jan 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

dont sleep on Luol Deng his game is solid on both ends of the court.

14. rallen69 - Jan 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I hope rubio because he is what the all star game is about, crazy passes and alley oops

15. jimsjam33 - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Hmmm .

Bynum has played three games this season and now you want him as an all-star ? Please .

You want Lowrey and Byrant over CP3 ? Have you watched any Clipper games this year ?

You got Durant right , but next is Love , . This is the future of the NBA at the forward position with Blake Griffin a close third . Lamarcus Aldridge doesn’t belong on the team ” because Portland deserves recognition . ” How uncompelling is that ? I don’t want to say stupid that would be inpolite .

West First Team
    G CP3 …Kobe
    F Love….Durant
    C Tim Duncan

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches