Jan 4, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
This time it was with Hoopsworld, and if you want to see the video follow this link. Here is the money quote from KD:
“There’s a lot of people that want to see us fail, of course, but it’s all good, I love Russell. He loves me back. We enjoy playing along side each other.”
I think the little spat between Westbrook and Durant became a bigger thing outside the locker room than it was inside, especially the part where fans started checking out trade scenarios. Oklahoma City isn’t moving Westbrook.
But if Durant and Westbrook are not best friends… so what?
It doesn’t matter on the court. As evidence, I present the three rings Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal won together. Teammates on good teams yell at each other and even have fight all the time. Michael Jordan yelled at everyone and we lauded it for him because he was tough and pushing his teammates. Kevin Garnett yelled (or makes that yells). Larry Bird yelled. Magic Johnson yelled. Those dominant Celtics teams in the ‘60s were no love in.
So long as the Westbrook/Durant relationship isn’t toxic to the rest of the team — and there is far from any evidence of that, they do seem to get along — then it doesn’t matter. Heck, a little tension seems to come with winning.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 0
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 14
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 14
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 40
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5