Jan 4, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
This time it was with Hoopsworld, and if you want to see the video follow this link. Here is the money quote from KD:
“There’s a lot of people that want to see us fail, of course, but it’s all good, I love Russell. He loves me back. We enjoy playing along side each other.”
I think the little spat between Westbrook and Durant became a bigger thing outside the locker room than it was inside, especially the part where fans started checking out trade scenarios. Oklahoma City isn’t moving Westbrook.
But if Durant and Westbrook are not best friends… so what?
It doesn’t matter on the court. As evidence, I present the three rings Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal won together. Teammates on good teams yell at each other and even have fight all the time. Michael Jordan yelled at everyone and we lauded it for him because he was tough and pushing his teammates. Kevin Garnett yelled (or makes that yells). Larry Bird yelled. Magic Johnson yelled. Those dominant Celtics teams in the ‘60s were no love in.
So long as the Westbrook/Durant relationship isn’t toxic to the rest of the team — and there is far from any evidence of that, they do seem to get along — then it doesn’t matter. Heck, a little tension seems to come with winning.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8