Jan 4, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
This time it was with Hoopsworld, and if you want to see the video follow this link. Here is the money quote from KD:
“There’s a lot of people that want to see us fail, of course, but it’s all good, I love Russell. He loves me back. We enjoy playing along side each other.”
I think the little spat between Westbrook and Durant became a bigger thing outside the locker room than it was inside, especially the part where fans started checking out trade scenarios. Oklahoma City isn’t moving Westbrook.
But if Durant and Westbrook are not best friends… so what?
It doesn’t matter on the court. As evidence, I present the three rings Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal won together. Teammates on good teams yell at each other and even have fight all the time. Michael Jordan yelled at everyone and we lauded it for him because he was tough and pushing his teammates. Kevin Garnett yelled (or makes that yells). Larry Bird yelled. Magic Johnson yelled. Those dominant Celtics teams in the ‘60s were no love in.
So long as the Westbrook/Durant relationship isn’t toxic to the rest of the team — and there is far from any evidence of that, they do seem to get along — then it doesn’t matter. Heck, a little tension seems to come with winning.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 44
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31