Jan 3, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady took charge of the Miami Heat in the fourth quarter Monday night.
McGrady had 13 points, five rebounds and four assists and is the reason Miami fell to the Atlanta Hawks. He controlled the flow of the game in the fourth.
Yes, that McGrady. The once dominant player with the questionable knees is back playing at a high level. It’s just five games — small sample size alert — but he is averaging 11.6 points per game on 53.8 percent shooting (up from 44.2 percent last year), and you can see his swagger is coming back.
He feels the best he has in years, he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“It feels good,” McGrady said. “It’s been a long time since I’ve had that feeling. My legs feel fresh. Everything just feels good. It feels right. That’s a good sign. I haven’t felt this good in a long time, probably since the beginning of my knee injury.”
Right now the Hawks look good, very good on offense (league best 111.1 points per 100 possessions) and solid on defense. (Although be careful with the numbers, the Heat are the first really good team the Hawks faced, they have the Bulls twice and the Heat again in the next week and a half. Things can change.)
McGrady and his play off the bench is a part of that. If he can continue to be the spark with the second unit — as Jamal Crawford was with this team in recent years — they are a much more formidable squad.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13