Jan 3, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
Among the no-brainers out there is that Kevin Love is deserving of a max contract extension off his rookie deal. He’s entering his fourth year as an All-Star and double-double machine who has improved his game this season. He will be at the core of any Timberwolves turnaround.
But he hasn’t gotten even the offer of a contract extension, reports Peter Vecsey in the New York Post. Yes, you should look at the author and publication and take it with a grain of salt, but it’s still worth noting.
According to the messenger, All-Star Kevin Love has not been offered an extension….
You got that right; according to my source, if one isn’t submitted by Jan. 15, 10 days before the league deadline to enrich players in Love’s position (Russell Westbrook is another), then don’t bother.
This sounds a whole lot like an agent trying to pressure a team into making an offer sooner rather than later. (Love’s agent is Jeff Schwartz, I don’t know Vecsey’s sources but draw your own conclusions.) The team is taking its time (they have until the 25th), the player and agent want to move things along, so they set an artificial deadline. They threaten not to sign qualifying offers and try to get out of town.
None of this is going to happen, Love is going to get his extension. For all the laughing at Wolves GM David Kahn over the years (and there have been good reasons to do so) he has built a good young team with Love, Ricky Rubio and some solid players around them (and Michael Beasley). It took a while for Love to get out of Kurt Rambis’ dog house, but he has blossomed. You don’t let Love go, not even Kahn would do that. The deal will happen. This is just the blustery negotiations.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 0
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 28
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5