Jan 3, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
Among the no-brainers out there is that Kevin Love is deserving of a max contract extension off his rookie deal. He’s entering his fourth year as an All-Star and double-double machine who has improved his game this season. He will be at the core of any Timberwolves turnaround.
But he hasn’t gotten even the offer of a contract extension, reports Peter Vecsey in the New York Post. Yes, you should look at the author and publication and take it with a grain of salt, but it’s still worth noting.
According to the messenger, All-Star Kevin Love has not been offered an extension….
You got that right; according to my source, if one isn’t submitted by Jan. 15, 10 days before the league deadline to enrich players in Love’s position (Russell Westbrook is another), then don’t bother.
This sounds a whole lot like an agent trying to pressure a team into making an offer sooner rather than later. (Love’s agent is Jeff Schwartz, I don’t know Vecsey’s sources but draw your own conclusions.) The team is taking its time (they have until the 25th), the player and agent want to move things along, so they set an artificial deadline. They threaten not to sign qualifying offers and try to get out of town.
None of this is going to happen, Love is going to get his extension. For all the laughing at Wolves GM David Kahn over the years (and there have been good reasons to do so) he has built a good young team with Love, Ricky Rubio and some solid players around them (and Michael Beasley). It took a while for Love to get out of Kurt Rambis’ dog house, but he has blossomed. You don’t let Love go, not even Kahn would do that. The deal will happen. This is just the blustery negotiations.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 14
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 53
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20