Jan 3, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
Among the no-brainers out there is that Kevin Love is deserving of a max contract extension off his rookie deal. He’s entering his fourth year as an All-Star and double-double machine who has improved his game this season. He will be at the core of any Timberwolves turnaround.
But he hasn’t gotten even the offer of a contract extension, reports Peter Vecsey in the New York Post. Yes, you should look at the author and publication and take it with a grain of salt, but it’s still worth noting.
According to the messenger, All-Star Kevin Love has not been offered an extension….
You got that right; according to my source, if one isn’t submitted by Jan. 15, 10 days before the league deadline to enrich players in Love’s position (Russell Westbrook is another), then don’t bother.
This sounds a whole lot like an agent trying to pressure a team into making an offer sooner rather than later. (Love’s agent is Jeff Schwartz, I don’t know Vecsey’s sources but draw your own conclusions.) The team is taking its time (they have until the 25th), the player and agent want to move things along, so they set an artificial deadline. They threaten not to sign qualifying offers and try to get out of town.
None of this is going to happen, Love is going to get his extension. For all the laughing at Wolves GM David Kahn over the years (and there have been good reasons to do so) he has built a good young team with Love, Ricky Rubio and some solid players around them (and Michael Beasley). It took a while for Love to get out of Kurt Rambis’ dog house, but he has blossomed. You don’t let Love go, not even Kahn would do that. The deal will happen. This is just the blustery negotiations.
- Report: Timberwolves make push to acquire Eric Bledsoe with max offer in sign-and-trade 2
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25