Mike Brown’s son’s friends wonder if Lakers can beat Clippers

Jan 3, 2012, 4:55 PM EST

Utah Jazz v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

This is what Chris Paul and Blake Griffin have done to Los Angeles.

L.A. is still a Lakers town — it’s the one generational team in Los Angeles, where your grandfather rooted for them, your dad and you — but the Clippers are changing the conversation among the youngest generations.

Like Lakers coach Mike Brown’s son Elijah, who plays for area hoops powerhouse Mater Dei now. This is what he’s hearing, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange County register.

These days, Elijah has heard most about why the Clippers seem to be rising and the Lakers have not.

“Does your dad still think they can beat the Clippers?” Elijah said he hears often. “Can they still win? They haven’t done anything.”

They haven’t done anything? Um, there were these two titles in the last three years… oh, forget it. Not going to try to explain this “ancient” history to high schoolers.

The point is this — Griffin and CP3 are changing perceptions and allegiances in Los Angeles. The Clippers are young and exciting, they win with dramatic highlights. They are the team with the brighter future (if owner Donald Sterling doesn’t screw it up).

It’s not a sea change — a decade or more of Dodgers-quality ownership — to really screw up the Lakers franchise. But for the near term, there are a lot of Clippers fans in Los Angeles.

1. silverbuffalo - Jan 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

This is really a story?

• Chris Carter - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I heard from my Uncle’s cousin’s nephew that Kurt reaches to meet his quota from NBC.

2. acdc363 - Jan 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM

i heard mike brown’s uncle’s cousin thinks the lakers suck too!

3. semperfi1997 - Jan 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Lakers are making some roster adjustments soon after this Clips don’t have a chance, that’s if they ever had it.

4. coldyron - Jan 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Huh, I must have went to prolakerstalk.com by mistake…

5. bearsstillsuck - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I thought Kurt’s reporting was bad during the lockout, but this is a new low. I’m not a clippers fan, but I’m certainly rooting for them to win the west now and I can’t wait to read Kurt’s article then.

6. cosanostra71 - Jan 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Kurt, I don’t think I could disagree more. For years, the Clippers have not only not had fans, but they’ve been totally ignored. No one followed them, no one watch them, no one cared about them… at all. They weren’t hated, they weren’t liked, they were just kind of there. I’ve noticed since ESPN started riding the Clippers bandwagon that the Clippers have not gained fans so much as they’ve gained people who really don’t like them. Now the team that was once ignored is actually disliked.

• cosanostra71 - Jan 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

hmm.. I’m surprised so many people disagree. I would love to hear some more Angelenos who disagreed with me… perhaps this is more of an Orange County phenomenon?

7. philtration - Jan 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Are any of them Kardashians?

As dumb and pointless as this kind of post may be, I will give the guys here credit for not deleting the comments that call them out.
    Try doing that at Pro Football Talk.

8. nicosanchez02 - Jan 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Last I checked, Lakers are ahead in the standings! If the clippers can get to the finals say4 years in a row now that may validate what high school kids think or whatever your article is trying to indicate, who cares what cousin, nephew, or someones mechanic thinks!!

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches