Kobe Bryant is going to keep shooting. What did you expect?

Jan 3, 2012, 8:39 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' Bryant chews on his jersey during NBA game in Los Angeles Reuters

Kobe Bryant is still going to be Kobe Bryant when the Lakers take the floor Tuesday against the Rockets.

To think that his 6-for-28 shooting night in a loss to Denver Sunday was going to change him was to think that arrests were going to change Lindsay Lohan. Some people are what they are.

In Kobe’s world view, he had open shots so he took them. The fact they were not going in — certainly due in part to a wrist with torn ligaments — misses the point. Kobe is the guy who creates the shots on the perimeter and if he has good looks he should take them. Even coach Mike Brown didn’t think Kobe was taking bad shots. Here is what Kobe said, via Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.

“I had shots, I took them,” he said. If I shoot the ball 40 times and have good looks, I take them. That’s what it is,” he said….

“I do what I do. If guys are open, I kick it to them, if not I shoot it,” Bryant said. “I play my game, you know what I mean? It stays consistent.”

There needs to be an evolution of the Lakers offense where more shots and touches are given to Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum. It’s what Brown has drawn up, it is what is more efficient and hard to defend. What do you say to that, Kobe?

“We always start inside out. If that means I’m going to shoot less, the answer is no. It starts with me, I do what I do. We play off of that,” he said. “That’s not going to change.”

What matters with Kobe are not words but actions. Tuesday night the Lakers face a team with Jordan Hill and Luis Scola as the starting front line (and Samuel Dalembert coming off the bench). The Lakers have an advantage in the paint. Will they pound it in there or live on the perimeter more? We’ll see. If the Lakers are truly going to contend their offense has to evolve. We’ll see if the evolution starts Tuesday.

1. cakemixa - Jan 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I expect at LEAST 3-4 stories per day on the following: Kobe, Kobe’s hand, the Lakers (in general), Wade, Lebron, the Heat (in general), Dwight Howard trade, D. Will’s unhappiness in NJ, how old/slow the Celtics/Spurs are, and Ricky Rubio.

• mannyfresh209 - Jan 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM

please don’t kill yourself should this site not live up to your expectations

2. keyshawn22 - Jan 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

The biggest ballhog in NBA history is going to keep jacking up shots….wow now theres a surprise!!!

• skids003 - Jan 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM

You forgot one thing; also, with the biggest EGO in NBA history.

3. therealhtj - Jan 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Kobe doing and saying all the right things . . . to be amnestied next summer. Kobe may be an arrogant jerk, but he’s no idiot. He clearly understands that after the botched Chris Paul trade, the Lakers aren’t a championship team even if they jettison Gasol/Bynum for D12. They’re still incredibly weak at the 1 and 3 and with Kobe’s 25-30mil on the books, there’s really no fixing that.

Once he gets amnestied, he put on such a dog and pony show about not showing up for a non-contender, he’ll sign with whatever team he thinks give him a shot at a ring. The funniest thing is if some team calls his bluff and he ends up in Indiana or Toronto or some other perennial also-ran and he has to play out his golden years there. No way he up and retires leaving 60 mil on the table especially after that gold digger cleaned him out.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches