Jan 2, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
John Wall was everybody’s pick to have a breakout season, so much so that during preseason prediction season it felt like you had to choose someone else and not take the obvious route.
So far the Wizards are 0-4 and Wall has been pedestrian. He’s only shooting 32 percent on the year — not only is his jumper off he’s not finishing at the rim like he used to — and his assist percentages are down as the Wizards offense looks stagnant.
With the Wizards playing the Celtics back-to-back, you can see the veteran influence that having Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce around him have made on Rajon Rondo. The kind of learning that Wall lacks, A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com points out.
The average Celtic is 28.5 years old, while the average Wizards (0-4) player is 25 years old. The gap is even wider when you compare the C’s starters are 32.6 years of age compared to 25.4 for the Wizards.
“Rondo really developed his first three years,” said Wizards coach Flip Saunders. “You hope that John can continue, as far as doing those things….
“Rondo came into a situation with 3 Hall of Fame players,” Saunders said. “(Ray) Allen, (Kevin) Garnett and (Paul) Pierce are all going to be hall of fame players. John didn’t walk into that type of situation. John has more pressure on him.”
Wall’s pressure is that he has to force things and create more offense than Rondo did, Rondo just had to distribute and play smart. He has learned how to do that well and incorporate his own shots into the Celtics offense. Now Rondo is the guy running the show there. He dominated Wall on Sunday, putting up a triple double.
I still expect Wall to get there. But right now, it is tough. He could use some veteran guidance.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 7
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10