Jan 2, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
John Wall was everybody’s pick to have a breakout season, so much so that during preseason prediction season it felt like you had to choose someone else and not take the obvious route.
So far the Wizards are 0-4 and Wall has been pedestrian. He’s only shooting 32 percent on the year — not only is his jumper off he’s not finishing at the rim like he used to — and his assist percentages are down as the Wizards offense looks stagnant.
With the Wizards playing the Celtics back-to-back, you can see the veteran influence that having Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce around him have made on Rajon Rondo. The kind of learning that Wall lacks, A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com points out.
The average Celtic is 28.5 years old, while the average Wizards (0-4) player is 25 years old. The gap is even wider when you compare the C’s starters are 32.6 years of age compared to 25.4 for the Wizards.
“Rondo really developed his first three years,” said Wizards coach Flip Saunders. “You hope that John can continue, as far as doing those things….
“Rondo came into a situation with 3 Hall of Fame players,” Saunders said. “(Ray) Allen, (Kevin) Garnett and (Paul) Pierce are all going to be hall of fame players. John didn’t walk into that type of situation. John has more pressure on him.”
Wall’s pressure is that he has to force things and create more offense than Rondo did, Rondo just had to distribute and play smart. He has learned how to do that well and incorporate his own shots into the Celtics offense. Now Rondo is the guy running the show there. He dominated Wall on Sunday, putting up a triple double.
I still expect Wall to get there. But right now, it is tough. He could use some veteran guidance.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 0
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 10
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31