Dwyane Wade says 2012 will be his last Olympics

Jan 2, 2012, 2:48 PM EST

Dwyane Wade Team USA Olympics Getty Images

Dwyane Wade is considered one of the locks for the 2012 USA Basketball roster for the London Olympics. He has Olympic experience helping the USA get the gold medal in Beijing, he is probably the best two guard in the game today and in what should be an up-tempo affair he is one of the best open court finishers on the planet.

But after London he said he is done. No more Olympics.

That is what he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

“This is my last run,” Wade, 29, said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida. “No chance (Wade will return for another Olympics). No chance at all. Not a chance.”

He said he almost didn’t return for 2012 in London.

“I thought I was done after the last one,” Wade said. “There are so many great young players in this league, and you want to give everybody an opportunity to be able to play on that stage. And I’ve been able to play on that stage two times already. I got a chance to win my gold medal so I thought, ‘This is a great way to end it….

All the guys kind of were like, ‘You’re playing,”‘ Wade said of some of his Olympic teammates working him over last year, namely Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul and LeBron James. “Melo, CP, Bron, they wouldn’t let me think about not playing. So everybody kind of convinced me, ‘We’re going to do it again together.’ And I told them if they’re back in, I’m in.”

Putting together Team USA’s roster is a challenge. Paul and Deron Williams seem like shoe ins at the point guard, but how do you leave off Derrick Rose? If you carry three point guards, do you have room for enough size up front — after Dwight Howard what about Tyson Chandler? Can you bring Blake Griffin and Kevin Love? Team USA will need size to match up with Spain who has Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and brings Serge Ibaka off the bench (not to mention a loaded back court).

Coach K has some tough decisions ahead of him. Bringing back Wade for one last run is not one of them. He’s in — for one last run.

1. goforthanddie - Jan 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM

They should cycle out the starters from the last Olympics, let someone else shine and get the next wave of Olympians in the chute.

• thatboi901 - Jan 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

You think other players aren’t sending their best players?

• goforthanddie - Jan 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I think the USA is still the leader in international hoopery. Now that Team USA has year-round coaching/management and an understanding of the international game, I think we should be able to field a medal-winning team every 4 years with new people.
        You think other people don’t want a chance to rep their country? You think Wade’s Olympic back-up can’t handle it? They handle it in the NBA, I think they could probably pull it off.

• franbotel - Jan 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

You must be cheering for the spanish team

2. nbascreed - Jan 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM

My team in order of how I would allocate playing time:

PGs
    Williams (some CG minutes)
    Rose (some CG minute)
    Paul

SGs
    Wade
    Bryant

SF
    Jimmy (Could start at 4)
    Durant (6th man – see Wade 2008)

PF
    Melo (Played here exclusively during Olympics, led team in boards)

BIGS
    Howard
    Bosh
    Griffin
    (Chandler or Love or Aldridge)

Points of contention w/ my bro:
    1. Kobe has to swallow his ego and come off the bench (but I think he bows out b/f that)
    2. I think Colangelo/Stern give the nod to Love (see all-star game)
    3. I think they go all superstars with this one and leave off the second tier players (i.e. Redd, Boozer, Prince.) This ticket is way to hot, unlike 2008 when the world was kind of down on USA Hoops.

thenbascreed.blogspot.com

• schoolboy834 - Jan 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I think either dwade or rose would be better suited for 6th man duties because of their ability to change the tempo of the game with their speed and they would give a great punch of offense. Williams and Paul are very similar, and i think it depends on who is playing better at the time when it comes to pt for them. Durant, melo and kobe are all very great scorers, so i think at most 2 of them should be on the court at the same time. trailing howard at 5 i think should be chandler just because the team is so loaded with offensive talent a defensive minded center would help balance it out

3. cantonbound13 - Jan 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

who cares? The majority of americans don’t care for him & LeBron anyway.

4. sfm073 - Jan 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I love rose, but he should be left off the roster. The team will have plenty of scorers, they need someone that can get them the ball. Leave room for a big like Love that can come in a get rebounds.

5. jmore501 - Jan 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Can’t wait!!!

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches