Jan 2, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Dwyane Wade is considered one of the locks for the 2012 USA Basketball roster for the London Olympics. He has Olympic experience helping the USA get the gold medal in Beijing, he is probably the best two guard in the game today and in what should be an up-tempo affair he is one of the best open court finishers on the planet.
But after London he said he is done. No more Olympics.
That is what he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“This is my last run,” Wade, 29, said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida. “No chance (Wade will return for another Olympics). No chance at all. Not a chance.”
He said he almost didn’t return for 2012 in London.
“I thought I was done after the last one,” Wade said. “There are so many great young players in this league, and you want to give everybody an opportunity to be able to play on that stage. And I’ve been able to play on that stage two times already. I got a chance to win my gold medal so I thought, ‘This is a great way to end it….
All the guys kind of were like, ‘You’re playing,”‘ Wade said of some of his Olympic teammates working him over last year, namely Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul and LeBron James. “Melo, CP, Bron, they wouldn’t let me think about not playing. So everybody kind of convinced me, ‘We’re going to do it again together.’ And I told them if they’re back in, I’m in.”
Putting together Team USA’s roster is a challenge. Paul and Deron Williams seem like shoe ins at the point guard, but how do you leave off Derrick Rose? If you carry three point guards, do you have room for enough size up front — after Dwight Howard what about Tyson Chandler? Can you bring Blake Griffin and Kevin Love? Team USA will need size to match up with Spain who has Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and brings Serge Ibaka off the bench (not to mention a loaded back court).
Coach K has some tough decisions ahead of him. Bringing back Wade for one last run is not one of them. He’s in — for one last run.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32