Jan 2, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
There’s a long way to go in Ricky Rubio’s career — he’s just 21. We feel like we’ve been hearing about him forever because he burst on the scene at the highest level of Spanish basketball at age 16, but he is still very young.
Even at 21 he has the court vision and sense few others have. Yes, he needs a more consistent shot and other holes in his game need to be filled in, but he has “it.”
“The kid has something. He has that Steve Nash capability,” Wade said. “They’ve got a gem in him. He’s going to be great for them.”
In the ultimate sign of respect, after Rubio had led a Minnesota comeback with 4 points and 5 assists in the fourth quarter, Miami switched LeBron James over to cover him the final several minutes of the game. Rubio has been controlling the tempo of the game, James disrupted that (as he did to Derrick Rose in the fourth quarters of the Eastern Conference Finals last year).
Who knows how we’ll talk about Rubio in a decade. But there really is the potential there for him to be someone special.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record