Jan 2, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
There’s a long way to go in Ricky Rubio’s career — he’s just 21. We feel like we’ve been hearing about him forever because he burst on the scene at the highest level of Spanish basketball at age 16, but he is still very young.
Even at 21 he has the court vision and sense few others have. Yes, he needs a more consistent shot and other holes in his game need to be filled in, but he has “it.”
“The kid has something. He has that Steve Nash capability,” Wade said. “They’ve got a gem in him. He’s going to be great for them.”
In the ultimate sign of respect, after Rubio had led a Minnesota comeback with 4 points and 5 assists in the fourth quarter, Miami switched LeBron James over to cover him the final several minutes of the game. Rubio has been controlling the tempo of the game, James disrupted that (as he did to Derrick Rose in the fourth quarters of the Eastern Conference Finals last year).
Who knows how we’ll talk about Rubio in a decade. But there really is the potential there for him to be someone special.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30