Michael Finley wants another shot in the NBA

Jan 1, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Michael Finley was last seen as a bit player on Boston in the 2010 playoffs. He was unable to get floor time due to age and injuries and quietly faded into the sunset, right? Not so fast. HoopsHype spoke to the former Spurs champion who says that he wants to give it another go… now that he’s healthy.

Following up on the tweet, Finley told HoopsHype Friday that’s he’s feeling healthy now and ready to return to pro basketball – in the NBA or elsewhere. The 6-foot-7 last saw action during the Celtics’ Finals run one year and a half ago. Limited by ankle problems, he was little more than a bit player for the eventual NBA runner-up.

“When I went to Boston, my ankle wasn’t 100 percent,” Finley said. “So afer that season, I got my ankle worked on. I’ve been working hard to get that at 100 percent. I feel a lot better than during my time in Boston.

“With the lockout and the shortened season, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more injuries than usual since there’s been not much of a training camp. I’m just working hard to be in shape and prepared in case an NBA team calls me.”

via HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs – Jorge Sierra » Finley not done.

Finely is 38, will be turning 39 next spring. That’s a whole lot of miles on the former dunk champion and three-point shooter. That said, he’s always kept himself in good condition, and if Grant Hill can still be effective in this league, Finley can. It’s hard to see a team taking a shot on Finley, but considering the state of some of the contenders who have older players, it’s a slippery slope that could lead to Finley.

Setting aside his future prospects, can we talk about how good his 2004 season was? 17.4 points per game, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 44 percent from the field, 40 percent from three, 17.8 PER, all at the age of 30. Finley’s one of those players who gets forgotten but who was a tremendous player in Dallas during the Nash-Nowitzki-Finley era and a crucial player in San Antonio for their championship runs. Guy’s a legend without the hype.

1. goforthanddie - Jan 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

“Legend”? Still celebrating last night?

• goforthanddie - Jan 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Can an idiot kindly point out what exactly about him is “legendary”, or does the article’s “author” have that many friends?

2. poohman1975 - Jan 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

“a legend without the hype”? Don’t think so, what pro athlete wouldn’t love riding the pine for millions.

3. seanb20124 - Jan 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Haha must be missing those nba paychecks.

4. danielcp0303 - Jan 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

And I still want another shot at Kelsey from back in high school, I would’ve tore that up

5. glink123 - Jan 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM

this type of article is what makes me lose all respect for this site. Finley hasn’t been relevant in the NBA in nearly a decade, and even then, he was barely marginal.

6. cowhawkfan - Jan 14, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Finley was an absolute monster for Dallas when they had nibody except Nash. Dirk was not the player back then that he is now. Finley was the heart and soul Dallas, it’s Leader. I loved Finley’s contributions to Dallas and hated to see him go to SA. I was glad he got a chance to contribute and get into the Finals with them.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches