Jan 1, 2012, 11:43 AM EST
When the guy who is supposed to be the anchor in the middle for your franchise for the next decade says that about the team’s offensive system, you’ve got a serious issue. You’ve got a coach on the hot seat.
You’ve got Sacramento.
In the race to the bottom for the first coach fired this year, Knicks fans were hoping that Mike D’Antoni was leading the way, but then Flip Saunders surged when he couldn’t fill out the lineup correctly (plus the Wizards are a mess).
Paul Westphal should have been on the hot seat last offseason, but in Sacramento there were much bigger issues to focus on than the coach. Like keeping the team in Sacramento. But there still seems to be plenty of friction between staff and plyers, enough friction to make the coach’s seat hot. Here are some player quotes from the Sacramento Bee after Saturday’s thumping at the hands of D’Antoni’s Knicks (hat tip to Tom Ziller at SBN):
“What offense?” DeMarcus Cousins replied when asked about the Kings’ most obvious weakness. “I really don’t want to say anything.” He shrugged. He shook his head. He exhaled. He ducked under a towel. His body said plenty….
“It seems like everybody is out there for themselves. He (Westphal) says to push the ball, but it’s like when the first pass gets through, we’re done,” Tyreke Evans said.
Then from another Bee article:
“I just try to get open as I can and create,” Evans said. “It’s no real set for me, nobody really in the offense. Just pass, cut. We lost; nobody really knows what to do. I think that’s what’s really hurting us right now.”
Westphal’s contract runs through the end of the season and in cost-conscious Sacramento that may be enough to keep his job until then. But right now there is a team in central California with real potential that seems to just be adrift, and as the losses mount pressure to make a change will grow. Fast. This is a team that should be better than it has looked this season (or last, frankly).
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 0
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 6
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 9
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)