Dec 31, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
The Mavericks continue to search out new ways to improve their team after getting their first win Friday over Toronto. ESPN.com reports that the Mavs will be adding Chinese forward Yi Jianlian.
The deal is likely to be finalized within the next 48 hours, sources said.
After looking mostly at centers to fortify their frontcourt rotation in the wake of Tyson Chandlers free-agent departure — including advanced negotiations with former Utah Jazz center Kyrylo Fesenko — Dallas is using its 15th roster spot to sign Yi, who is a free agent after playing for the Washington Wizards last season.
With Yi needing a game or two of live action to get re-acquainted with full-speed basketball after a teammate fell on his knee in a Chinese Basketball Association league game, sources said Yi will join the Mavericks D-League affiliate in nearby Frisco on a rehabilitation stint with the Texas Legends before joining the Mavericks.
The Mavericks are going to have a bunch of wing-forwards. Shawn Marion, Dirk Nowitzki, Lamar Odom, Brian Cardinal, and Vince Carter can all spend time at the 3 or 4, as can Yi. Yi was highly regarded coming out of China in the 2007 draft, but failed to show he can put it together. The Mavericks have also had interest in Kyrylo Fesenko according to Stein, and may continue their pursuit regardless of the signing, though they’ll have to release someone in order to make room.
The Mavericks are known to take chances on highly regarded young players labeled as busts, with Sean Williams and Brandan Wright, and having just traded Corey Brewer. Maybe the Mavericks can find a spot for him. Yi Jianlian also makes yet another former Wizard to wind up with the Mavericks. Brendan Haywood, Caron Butler, and DeShawn Stevenson have all had stints in D.C. .
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 52
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (80)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (64)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights