Dec 30, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Selfless. Really, that is the best word to describe Magic coach Stan Van Gundy.
Reporters in Orlando were talking with Van Gundy about the alleged rift between Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant when Van Gundy came up with an inspired solution, according to the Oklahoman (via Ball Don’t Lie).
“I think it’s very serious, and I think the only thing they can do is split those two guys up,” Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy joked on Thursday with his team’s local reporters. “And I think they need to get them a long way away, I think here to Florida, to diffuse that problem; Kevin Durant here.”
Funny guy. That might convince Dwight Howard to stay, however.
Van Gundy went on to say the occasional player fight is no big deal.
“When you’re together as much as we are in very competitive situations, you’re going to have those conflicts,” Van Gundy said. “You’re going to have player-coach conflicts and player-player conflicts. You know, you just are. Because everybody is competitive, everybody wants to win, everybody wants to do well and a lot of times you see situations differently.
“You know if you’re on the inside when you have problems or not. But the fact that two guys get into an argument on a bench isn’t at all indicative of anybody having problems. That’s just the normal course of things. Now, if that’s happening every night, every game, that’s different. But I’ve watched those guys play together for a long time and they play damn well together. I don’t think there’s any problem there.”
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11