Dec 30, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Selfless. Really, that is the best word to describe Magic coach Stan Van Gundy.
Reporters in Orlando were talking with Van Gundy about the alleged rift between Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant when Van Gundy came up with an inspired solution, according to the Oklahoman (via Ball Don’t Lie).
“I think it’s very serious, and I think the only thing they can do is split those two guys up,” Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy joked on Thursday with his team’s local reporters. “And I think they need to get them a long way away, I think here to Florida, to diffuse that problem; Kevin Durant here.”
Funny guy. That might convince Dwight Howard to stay, however.
Van Gundy went on to say the occasional player fight is no big deal.
“When you’re together as much as we are in very competitive situations, you’re going to have those conflicts,” Van Gundy said. “You’re going to have player-coach conflicts and player-player conflicts. You know, you just are. Because everybody is competitive, everybody wants to win, everybody wants to do well and a lot of times you see situations differently.
“You know if you’re on the inside when you have problems or not. But the fact that two guys get into an argument on a bench isn’t at all indicative of anybody having problems. That’s just the normal course of things. Now, if that’s happening every night, every game, that’s different. But I’ve watched those guys play together for a long time and they play damn well together. I don’t think there’s any problem there.”
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39